Why aren't my soft keys working?

Skivey

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Soft keys not working, unlock is!

So I se its a common problem on the N4 for the soft keys to stop working, but a lot of the posts say its a hardware failure...

This cant be true, because the unlock 'padlock' is situated in the same area of the screen where the soft keys are, and this works fine..

My phone isnt rooted, never has been - and I dont seem to be able to work out what third party apps I need to install to get at least a back button.. im having to reboot my phone all the time.

Can anyone help me untill we get a fix?

cheers

Matt

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Soft keys not working, unlock is!

Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that your soft keys are visible but don't respond, or that they aren't even there?

Skivey

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Soft keys not working, unlock is!

Hi thanks,

Yes they are visible, but they dont work. However when the phone is locked the unlock is in teh same part of the screen as the 3 soft keys.. and that button works.

Its all very bizarre, I have managed to install an appthat allows me to use a sidebar of the buttons but that part of the screen seems to be dead when it is active, but when its locked it works... It since I updated to lollypop.

Matt

Endika

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have the same problem with mi N4 since yesterday, but in my case I updated to Lollipop 10 days ago.

The soft keys suddenly stopped working. I'm not sure if it could be due to an app's auto-update, because I didn't do anything with the phone, I unlocked the phone to check the emails and the soft keys did not respond anymore.

Anyway, I have tried to restart in secure mode and wipe the system cache partition, but the problem persists. What can I try next? maybe a Master reset? I don't want to lose the data and have to reconfigure the phone, but I will be happy to do it if I fix it

Kind regards

Endika

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes, sorry, I mean in Safe Mode.

I have restarted the phone in Safe Mode and I have stopped as much services as I could but the problem persist. Then I have seen your post and I have tried to wipe the system cache partition, but it hasn't worked.

Please, any advise will be much appreciated

Regards

Endika

Skivey

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything, got annoyed so called google play and they offered me a replacement.... 8 months past warrantee...

I think they know its a problem, and same as you it was after I installed lollypop.

Matt

Endika

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I did the same.

The phone was still in warranty and Google replaced it without problems.

Now I have Kit Kat (v4.4.4) and I don't know if update it or wait to a new release. The 5.0.1 should arrive in a few days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams