I got my first smartphone in 2009. Later my job issued me a work phone. I ended up canceling my personal line and adopting my work number as my main contact for all my personal accounts. Recently I left the job, had to get a new number and change it on all my accounts. Now at my new job I was just issued another work phone.

I want to be able to have one phone number that I can use no matter what happens to my phone situation. I really don't like carrying around two phones and I don't want to have to keep getting new numbers.

My thoughts were having a Skype number or set up Google voice. Skype has bad reviews lately and considering it wouldn't even successfully accept a $10 charge on my credit card I don't have much faith in it. Google voice seems to be dieing? But being absorbed into hangouts..?

I have no experience with either service. I'm asking any of you out there that are in similar situations: I. E. a contractor in the I.T. field that might get a new phone from various jobs every few years. Do you have a solution I am inquiring about? Or does everyone just carry two phones?

Any thoughts / tips would be appreciated!

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-07-2014 09:15 PM
    You have a few solutions here, as you seem to already know. I'll try to point out the pros and cons of each.

Skype is a decent option but it is first and foremost a VoIP solution. The preferred method of use would be to pay the $3 per month for an unlimited calling plan plus the cost for a "Skype number." You would receive your calls through the Skype app on your phone. The major downside here is that it's always going to be using your data connection. You need a much stronger connection to get a reasonable call quality on Skype than on a standard call. Skype does offer call forwarding so you could forward them to your cell number but that only works for incoming calls. Any calls that you place need to be done over the data connection. One other issue is that SMS is not included in the unlimited plan, so you would need to pay-as-you-go for texting.

Ring.To

Ring.To is mainly provided as a way to "free your number" so that you can maintain it easily even if you switch cell providers, but you can use it in this scenario pretty easily as well. You would need to "port" your current personal number to Ring.To, and then you can have Ring.To forward calls to your work cell number. You can change the forwarding number at any time. You can even do SMS but I believe you need to use their app for that.

Google Voice

This is my current solution, though I use it differently from you. My work does not give me a phone, so I use my Google Voice number for all of my work calls and keep my personal number (which is on my cell phone) private. You would be using it in the opposite way but it would still work well.

Google Voice currently provides the best of both worlds. You would port your number (or get a new number if you want) and have that associated with your Google account. Once you have that setup, you can make and receive calls and texts in multiple ways. The "new" method is Hangouts integration, which uses the Hangouts app on your phone to send texts and receive/place calls all using your data network on your phone. The "older" method of forwarding calls is still supported, and you can even use the two in tandem (have it ring in both places, though that can get confusing if you're forwarding it to your normal cellphone number). The nice thing is that you can easily switch back and forth, so while you may want to choose one as your default you can always place a call via forwarding or VoIP fairly easily. The major bonus over Skype is that it's completely free within the US.

The one concern with Google Voice is its "uncertain future." I don't think they're going to completely get rid of it, but they may make calling a paid feature at some point. They could also disable the forwarding aspect and make it VoIP only. I'm not really sure. The nice thing though is that Google has always given you time to get your data, so you could port your Google Voice number to another service if they do change it or get rid of it.
    mrjspeed likes this.
    12-08-2014 09:19 AM
    I prefer Google Voice. You have one number and if your cellphone number changes, you change the number it forwards to, so people still call the old number. (And you can make calls out through that number, so their phone recognizes that it's you.
    mrjspeed likes this.
    12-08-2014 09:24 AM
    Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Google Voice is my best bet at this point. Even if it turns into a paid service I wouldn't mind. I doubt it would ever be as much as a typical wireless plan anyways.
    12-08-2014 09:49 AM