Google Nexus S vs. HTC Desire HD

defcon3

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a crackberry user. Since HTC Desire HD was announced, I picked it to be my next toy, so I could ditch the ancient 9700 Bold.

I like that HTC:
- has maps that don't need data (huge plus for my travel)
- has 4.3 display

I like that Nexus S:
- is pure android (no crappy overlays)
- is 4 inches screen (maybe a sweetspot)

Now, I am forced to pick between saving big on roaming data when I travel and have the HTC, or go vanilla cutting edge with the Nexus S.

As I have never owned an android device, can those more knowledgeable share with me their recommendation - which one should I pick?

M1LK

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a crackberry user. Since HTC Desire HD was announced, I picked it to be my next toy, so I could ditch the ancient 9700 Bold.

I like that HTC:
- has 4.3 display

I like that Nexus S:
- is 4 inches screen (maybe a sweetspot)

Now, I am forced to pick between saving big on roaming data when I travel and have the HTC, or go vanilla cutting edge with the Nexus S.

As I have never owned an android device, can those more knowledgeable share with me their recommendation - which one should I pick?

HTC ? Reputable company renowned for the quality phones they build. Enough said.
The 4.3 display is great but resolution is poorer than other phones like the iphone 4 or any Samsung Galaxy S phone ? more on this later
HTC Desire HD you can disable the ?Sense? UI and go straight into vanilla , I think I saw this a while ago on youtube.

Samsung ? **** company, no joke. There phones are plastic and feel cheap. Their known for making novelty cheap phones and they suffer from numerous bugs. If you purchase their phones, do NOT expect any support for your phone if it ever croaks.

HOWEVER, Samsung Android Devices, so far, like the Galaxy S line have not shown any flaws or bugs as of yet, it may be because they?re not making their own ****ty UI and all the have to do is put in the hardware. > >
Speaking of hardware, Samsung has a ridiculous GPU. The galaxy S line is a testament to this. The GPU runs smoother than ANY HTC android device at the moment. Resolution may actually be higher than the HTC desire hd as well
Finally, Samsung has 16GB on board memory, while HTC desire HD has only 1.5GB but it comes with an 8 GB micro SD I think.

Closing Statement: Samsung has a better GPU and has a large onboard memory (faster data retrieval) however suffers from it?s history of 1) making cheap plastic phones and 2) poor customer support.

HTC is reputable for making quality phones that are built to last. Desire HD is able to boot with sense UI disabled, and DOESN?T have that Google search bar at the top. Umm The memory is expandable I think up to a 32 gb, and in all honesty they?re getting cheaper the memory cards. However, the Resolution on the phone is NOT as good as other phones and the battery life is rather meh.
Hope this helps, in my opinion, I?d just go with the HTC Desire HD, because it?s a good phone from a good company and builds a phone that feels good in the hands and doesn?t feel like a toy.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I like that HTC:
That's not unique to HTC. There are several Android nav apps that store maps locally such as CoPilot Live, Navigon, etc. Don't assume that you're stuck with the apps that you get out-of-the-box. I know it's hard for many to drop the BB mindset.

I like that Nexus S:
Have you actually used vanilla Android and Android with UI's for any length of time? It's a subjective preference. Don't just go by what you read. I prefer vanilla but there are plenty that do not.

HOWEVER, Samsung Android Devices, so far, like the Galaxy S line have not shown any flaws or bugs as of yet
I'd suggest searching a little. It's very easy to find numerous threads on GPS issues with Samsung Android devices.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz