I have a LG G3 from Verizon I'd like to root. I've had droids in the past but was always a bit hesitant to try rooting them. I've decided to give it a shot but was looking for some advice before doing so. I was going to try the stump root method as it seemed easy and a lot of other methods I saw for the G3 were for Tmobile or AT&T. What do I need to do prior to using stump root (also open to any alternatives to stump root if you have a suggestion)? Will I still be able to update my phone without unrooting when 5.1 comes out? Does my phone need to be unlocked, and if so how to do this? Also I read an older article about all androids having locked bootloader? If I understand correctly, I need to have an unlocked bootloader to install custom mods. How do I do this as well, and will it need to be done prior to rooting or can it be done after? I'm extremely grateful for all advice/suggestions/links etc. on the matter. I'm leaving to go on vacation for a few weeks the 24th and it would be pretty bad if I somehow bricked the phone right before (I do have insurance though). Thanks for any help!!
    12-18-2014 01:48 PM
    Go to the Verizon G3 section of XDA or do a search there in the Verizon G3 forums for Stump Root. (How you root a phone depends on the model of the phone, the version of Android, the date of the kernel, the baseband version, etc.)

More important question - why do you need to root?
    12-18-2014 02:00 PM
    I don't "need" to necessarily. I just love messing with customization and mods on my pc and thought why not on my phone? I originally was looking into it bc I'll be on a long flight and have several emulators I'd like to use a PS4 controller with, which requires sixaxis and root to do so. I just think it'd be fun to do and learn the ins and outs of having a rooted phone. Stump root didn't work however. When I hit grind it said device has been patched, sorry. So now I'm back to square one
    12-18-2014 03:46 PM
    I don't "need" to necessarily. I just love messing with customization and mods on my pc and thought why not on my phone? I originally was looking into it bc I'll be on a long flight and have several emulators I'd like to use a PS4 controller with, which requires sixaxis and root to do so. I just think it'd be fun to do and learn the ins and outs of having a rooted phone. Stump root didn't work however. When I hit grind it said device has been patched, sorry. So now I'm back to square one
    Stump root didn't work for me either. I ended up using purple drake. Was quick and easy.
    12-18-2014 11:57 PM
    I was just about to go through with purpledrake or ioroot. I had USB debug mode on and hooked it up but you have to have the usb connection mode set to internet/ethernet instead of media transfer or camera. The newest OTA update on Dec 9th apparently got rid of that option (I have version 98512B). From what I've been able to find on the forums, the only way to root it now is to use something called LG Flash (I think??). It looked a bit sketchy to me. The video I saw on it, when the guy was doing it all these warnings kept popping up with just a bunch of korean and like 20 question marks, and he was like yeah just keep clicking this and youll have to cancel and retry a lot but it should eventually work, lol. Is there any other way to either root with this software version currently, or if I wait awhile will they inevitably find a way to do it? Or is there at least a safer way to rollback the software that you know of? Thanks for the reply.
    12-19-2014 01:49 PM