My phone is stuck on Android is upgrading how do I get it off of this?

LovelyLeslie

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Phone is stuck in "Android is upgrading. Optimizing application 1 of 1" HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i remember i was downloading something from google play store but it took so long so i cleared cache from playstore then i also used clean master and du booster to clean junk but it was taking longer than usual also so i stopped my downloads and everything i was doing.

i powered off my phone. then turned it on again and it says

"Android is upgrading, Optimizing application 1 of 1"

and i already slept for more than 8 hours and its stuck there. I cant do anything except remove my battery,sim and sd card.

help me please....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone is stuck in "Android is upgrading. Optimizing application 1 of 1" HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Do you know if the phone was actually doing a system update? That's usually why it starts optimizing apps afterwards. It will also optimize apps if you switch the runtime from from Dalvik to ART.

Also, try not to post multiple duplicate questions in multiple forums--it can make it very confusing when people start responding to the different threads, and no one is having a unified discussion. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone is stuck in "Android is upgrading. Optimizing application 1 of 1" HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Please don't start more than 1 thread for a question. If you put it in the wrong place, an admin will move it.

2) It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to "prepare" even the largest app. Boot into recovery and do a factory reset. (You'll lose all your downloaded apps and all your data [pictures, music, etc.], but the only other option, reflashing the ROM, will do the same thing.)

3) NEVER install an app that claims to clean junk out of RAM. (Out of storage is okay, but not out of RAM.) That's a statement by the developer that says "I have no understanding of how Android works, so I'm just going to assume that it works like Windows". Unfortunately, when it comes to free RAM, Android works exactly the opposite way that Windows works, and "cleaning junk" from RAM only wastes battery and slows the phone down. And I wouldn't trust an app written by someone who doesn't understand the environment he's writing for to not write some code that would work in Windows, but would create problems in Android. (Multitasking the Android Way explains all this. She wrote the code so, as a systems developer myself, I assume that she knows how it works better than someone who didn't.)

So get rid of Clean Master and DU Booster once you get the phone working. If you want to clean out junk files, uninstall apps you're not using, delete texts, pictures, songs and videos you don't need on the phone (back them up to a computer first if you may want them later) - only you can decide what's junk and what's a file you want to keep, no computer is powerful enough yet to run an app that can make that decision for you. It would have to know how you feel at the moment (and that's a world I don't want to live to see).

Seeing B. Diddy's response (he posted it while I was still typing mine) brings up another possibility. If the phone was receiving an update, and you powered it off during the update process, the ROM would have gotten corrupted (which is why the warning about 70% battery, don't turn off the phone, etc., that you get when you do an update). If that's what happened, your carrier can reflash the update. (Then it will take a relatively long time for the phone to update all the apps, because it will have deleted all the "compiled" files and will have to recreate them - just like flashing a new ROM.)

If it's a Samsung phone, and you're in the US, you could also try a Best Buy store - the Samsung Experience desk should be able to flash current updates (at least up to 5.0).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol