hello, im having issues connecting to my computer through the android cable. i've tried different cables (including a otg cable that works on other android phones), and even went as far as to replace the port on the phone thinking is was damaged.

my best guess is that this is a firmware issue on my device, because the ONE time that my computer hinted at seeing it, it said that the device was unrecognisable.

is there anything i can do, aside from paying out the yin-yang for htc to try to fix it? or can i "repair" the firmware that handles the usb port?

thank you.
    12-21-2014 02:17 PM
    "The firmware that handles the USB port" is the ROM, since it's handled by both the kernel and Android. If reflashing the ROM doesn't fix it, I'd suspect the motherboard.
    12-21-2014 03:11 PM
    ok, how do i flash the device? and does that wipe it?
    12-21-2014 03:26 PM
    I'm not familiar with HTC, but there's going to be a PC program to run and a ROM file to download to deed to the phone with that program. Check on the M7 forum for links.

Yes, flashing a ROM or replacing the motherboard wipes the data, so make sure you back everything up using something like WiFi File Transfer. (Your contacts should all be Google Account contacts, so they're backed up on the cloud. You can use SMS Backup & Restore to back up your messages and App Backup & Restore or Google to back up your apps. If you have contacts that are Phone, Device or SIM contacts, you can use MyPhoneExplorer Client [it will connect by wifi or Bluetooth] to sync all your contacts - and to change the type, by copying a contact and pasting it. You can change the type to Google in the pasted one, then delete the original one.)

Of course everything should always be backed up anyway. Who knows when you'll drop the phone right in front of a moving truck and end up with a pancake?
    12-21-2014 04:56 PM
    alright, where would i go about finding the .ROM files that i would need? i assume its not as easy as going to htc"s site and clicking "get .ROM here" lol

also, how would running a program on my pc help my phone if they cant see each other when connected?
    12-21-2014 07:12 PM