I filmed a video on my galaxsy s5 the other day and it stopped the video due to full storage on the phone.. it saved the the video as it shows there is a 748mb mp4 file but fails when I open the video as if possibly the video was never ended correctly I'm guessing. does anyone know any trick to recover and save this video in this case even if it means a pc solution. Any app iv tried fo editing will fail as it won't open the video though it.recogizes it at a video on a list
    12-21-2014 06:05 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Have you only tried opening it on the phone? If so, see what happens if you copy it over to your computer and try to open it there.
    12-21-2014 10:35 PM
    It "recognizes it" as a video because of the file type. (An .mp4 file is recognized as a video file, even if there's nothing in it.) You'd have to look in the file (with a hex editor), but I'm guessing that the space was allocated but either nothing was written to it, or the header, which has to be read in order to play the video, wasn't written because it's the last thing written after you close the recording. IOW, unless you manually recover every byte of the file, there's nothing to recover. (Not with any kind of app or program, anyway.)

One trick you could try is PhotoRec. (This is a wild guess, so don't shoot me if you waste half an hour and don't recover anything.) Copy the file to an SD card with nothing on it. Delete the file. Run PhotoRec on the SD card. (You have to download the file, burn it to a disk, then use the disk to boot the PC.) it may recognize a lot of what's there, or even all of it, as video content, and "recover" it as a video file. (It works on what the data looks like, not on the file type or the filesystem of the storage device.) As I said, just a wild guess, but it's handy to have a PhotoRec disk around anyway..
    12-21-2014 10:38 PM