Can I get some help with modding?

Gaurav Rai2

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Questions about Modding

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to modding and I'm using Xperia Sp. After some research I came across article which helped me install CyanogenMod on my phone, although I'm happy with results , I would like to learn more for my own good. I asked some of that question in the thread itself but nobody has answered. I'm hoping someone here may help me out.
Ok so following the article I figured how to root and how to unlock my bootloader, but steps after this confuse me by lot!

i) If I'm correct, after unlocking the bootloader, we must install a recovery like ClockWork, right? But according to the article I was supposed to install some kind of kernal (DoomLord) which happens to flash the CWM along! and thereafter I just had to install CM 11 from sd card..this somehow does not match the guides from others but still works

ii)What is this Kernal? If I'm to install a different Rom, will it work just like it worked for CM?

iii) Some say that kernal is flashed after installing the custom Rom, if that's true then how can a person like me install a recovery( because for me that DoomLord kernal came with CWM)

I'm sorry if all of this is rather stupid of me to ask but please try to explain me correct way of installing ROMs

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Questions about Modding

i) If I'm correct, after unlocking the bootloader, we must install a recovery like ClockWork, right?
If you want a custom recovery, right. If all you want is a custom ROM, or rooting the stock ROM, no.

But according to the article I was supposed to install some kind of kernal (DoomLord) which happens to flash the CWM along! and thereafter I just had to install CM 11 from sd card..this somehow does not match the guides from others but still works
There are many roads leading to the same place.

ii)What is this Kernal?
Linux.

If I'm to install a different Rom, will it work just like it worked for CM?
That depends on how the ROM installation was written. Some ROMs need an installer running on the phone, some need an installer running on a PC and some just have to be copied to the SD card.

iii) Some say that kernal is flashed after installing the custom Rom
Some say that chocolate is the best flavor. Some are wrong. Some custom ROMs include a different kernel, some keep the stock kernel. It's your choice whether you want to install a different kernel. ("You always flash a kernel after installing the custom ROM" is like saying "you always install a custom ROM after buying a phone". Some do, most don't.)

how can a person like me install a recovery( because for me that DoomLord kernal came with CWM)
That depends on the recovery, just as installing a ROM does. Read the installation instructions for the recovery.

I'm sorry if all of this is rather stupid of me to ask
The last person who was born knowing everything doesn't have living great-grandparents yet. It's only stupid to ask (any question) if you're not going to listen to the answer.

but please try to explain me correct way of installing ROMs
The correct way is to read the developer's instructions. There's no one correct way for all ROMs, or for all phones. (The program used on a PC to install ROMs will be different for each manufacturer's phones, for those ROMs that are installed that way.)

Gaurav Rai2

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Questions about Modding

Hi thank you for your time..
So can you tell me if its important to flash a custom kernel at all? Have I made a mistake in using Doomlord's kernel?
And does CM come with its own kernel then?
And if I'm to change my recovery from CWM to TWRP will it erase the DoomLord's kernel? cause I don't think its needed if CM can run fine on its own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair