Hi, The other day I moved most of the photos and videos from my Samsung Galaxy S5 onto the Micro SD card, A SanDisk Ultra 32GB, using my laptop connection... This all went as it should.
    Then the next day I went to take a photo with my phone, and it locked up... The camera came on and showed on the screen, but I could not push any buttons. I had to restart the phone buy pulling out the battery.
    Now the SD card comes up as empty and the phone wants to format it.
    I took the card out and put it into my laptop, it does not even show up that's it is there.

Is there anyway to over come this? I don't want to loose all the photos and other files on there.
    01-04-2015 05:17 PM
    Download PhotoRec. Burn it to a disk (CD or DVD doesn't matter). Put the SD card into a card reader and plug it into the laptop (this won't work by plugging the phone into the laptop). Put the disk into the laptop and boot from the disk.

If the pictures (or just about any type of file) are still on the card, PhotoRec will find them and save them to the hard drive you tell it to. (You'll lose the file names - Photorec looks for files, not for the directory entry for the file, that has the name of the file in it - that's gone.) If PhotoRec can't find them, they're not there. (There's a list of file types the program will find, listed at the web site - you probably haven't heard of most of them, but every type you have heard of is probably there.) It may find files you don't remember putting on there, it may even find files you never had*. Then let the phone format the card.

(*It's possible that you have a counterfeit card. It's impossible to tell by looking at it, even with a magnifying glass. Run SD Insight on the card after you formatted it and look at the manufacture date. If it's around 1970, it's counterfeit - they hadn't invented the technology yet. The memory chip in the card could be a 4GB chip, but the card is programmed to claim to be 32GB. [There's a whole little computer in there, and it can be programmed.] If you try to store more than 4GB on the card, it gets wiped clean. Even worse if it's a 2GB chip.)

If it happens again, or if SD Insight shows that it's probably counterfeit, go to SanDisk's website, go to Support and open a live chat. (One of the reasons I pay more for SanDisk than for some no-name card - great tech support.)
    kdonoghue likes this.
    01-04-2015 06:03 PM
    Thanks Rukbat.

I followed your instructions... And it looked like it was working. Then I got an error, something about could not read a sector.
    It looks like the data might be lost... I just wish I could remember what was on it.

Anyway thanks heaps again...
    Matt
    01-05-2015 02:05 AM
    There is another way, but you have to run Linux to do it - it's a program called ddrescue. It'll read forward. When it finds an error, it'll start at the end and read backwards. It'll get every sector it can. You'd have to read that to a file, then write the file to a good SD card. If the files were really important, it might pay for you to take a few days to learn enough to run it. (There are a couple of good ddrescue tutorials by the author, and if you install Ubuntu, a great forum if you need Linux help.)

Or - did you talk to SanDisk? They can read the memory chip directly, and may do it for you - and send you a new card with your data on it.
    01-10-2015 04:56 PM
    How is your SD crad formatted? FAT32? Is it possible that the problem is about the SD card itself?
    01-13-2015 01:15 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help on this...

Just to update you all as well. I had another crash of a SanDisk 34G Ultra card. I got both from EBay... Right. I ran SD Insight on the first one It was real, But I still can't open it or get my computer to even say it's there. The seconded one was from my cars dash-cam, after re formatting this one SD Insight said it was fake... But I can open it??????

Also they were formatted FAT32 as Kathy13xia asked.

One thing I have learned is... Don't buy them on EBay!
    01-17-2015 05:16 AM
    Contact SanDisk anyway at SanDisk microSD Tech Support (the live chat). One of the reasons that's the only brand I buy is because they make a good product - the other one is their great tech support. It's not a clerk reading a script, it's real tech support.

Oh - yes, you can find fake cards that you can open. Try saving files to it. At some point, probably WELL before 32GB you'll run into a problem. That's how large the card is - maybe a 4GB memory chip with the controller programmed to claim it's 32GB. (You can get a real 4GB card for less than $2 - retail. Reprogramming it takes a few seconds. Reprinting it takes another few. They even counterfeit the SanDisk package so well that you can't tell the difference with a magnifying glass.)
    01-17-2015 10:01 PM