LG G3 Screen turns off whenever I cover the sensor on the top while on the lock screen

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an LG G3 and every time I am on the lock screen and I cover the sensors (I think it is called the ambient light sensor or proximity I am not sure please help) the screen turns off, even if I use the physical power button and not double tap to wake. It makes it difficult to use while in an arm band case, also when trying to check it while keeping it inside my back pack since it keeps going off until I take it out and unlock it. Any solutions or recommendations to help with this? Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably the proximity detector, working when the phone isn't the foreground app (which shouldn't be happening). It's under warranty, and this is covered, so bring it back. (Make sure you have EVERYTHING backed up - they're not going to fix it while you wait, they're going to replace the phone.)

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I live in the middle east and we don't have warranty on our products unfortunately. Could you recommend any other means of approaching this dilemma? Would changing the detector fix this, or is there a software alternative to look into by any chance? Thank you for your help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The manufacturer should warranty the phone for a certain amount of time. If not, and the sensor is bad (you'll have to determine that), replacing it would solve the problem.

If it's a software problem (highly doubtful, but possible), the solution would be a software solution.

Again - you have to determine the cause of the problem before anyone can tell you what to do to fix it. If you can't it has to go into a repair shop.