Do you trust rooting sites?

ad_venture

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
do you trust rooting sites? why?

There are many places you can go root your device. iroot, framaroot, kingo, towelroot being the most well known.
how do they make any money? this stuff needs to be able to pay smart guys well !
Has there been any investigation if they plant malware in your PC and phone? Do they spy on you in other`ways. with that kind of access you know they can.
Is there a way to prevent it?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: do you trust rooting sites? why?

From past history many of these more well known devs/teams often have " paid " exclusives to their projects. It could be advanced tools in their tool kits or add ons, etc that are eye candy to most but you have to pay to access. Which I think is a fair approach if you want to play with extra goodies then its worth paying a dev/team a few bucks to get your hands on it. Lets not forget the people who donate just for the cause/thanks for what they are doing.

When it comes to them planting malware in your phone I'm sure that is entirely possible but I have never heard of it. Most I have heard of is a known trick that many devs do which is planting code deep in their stuff to identify their " code " in the event of someone else stealing it and claiming it as their own. Basically a hidden signature they can look for in anything they suspect maybe taken without permission/credit applied.

End of the day we are thankful for these current and past devs/teams that have given countless hours and bricked their fair share of devices along the way to give those interested in a taste of the wild side :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am taking a guess here, but I think a lot of them do it more out of a hobby than a paid occupation. Similar to how the badged volunteers here spend several hours a day responding to people's questions, these developers use their skills to come up with a root exploit. I have seen some sites that have ad links, so there is an income source, but I have no idea how much.

As for worrying about if it is malware or not, I usually don't worry about it. If, say, Towelroot was malicious, you would hear about it, and not having people suggesting to use it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm with Golfdriver. Many of the root devs, ROM devs and other app devs (like Hashcode's Safestrap) are done as a challenge - the manufacturer (or Google) says this can't be done, so let's see how I can do it anyway.

There's a convention every year, where hackers (in the old sense of the word - people who can write code on the bare metal in their sleep) try to out-do each other, writing things that people can't break, while others try to break them, seeing who can perform a function with the least code, that sort of thing. (What programmers used to do in the 60s and 70s as a normal course of things - you didn't take a coffee break, you took a coffee and hacking break).

Now, that's not saying that I wouldn't accept a weekly check from Mobile Nations. But if all I get out of sitting here 8 hours a day (I'm retired, so I have to do something to keep my brain from rotting) is an occasional "thank you, that fixed it", that's all the "pay" I'm really hoping for. And I'm sure a lot of the devs writing root apps and modifying ROMs (and writing free apps that they don't monitize by keeping all the "good" functions in a paid version) are doing it for the same reason - satisfaction.

One of the Ambassadors PM'd me that, among other things, I'd done enough this month, and I told him that if I ever spent 3 weeks not here, he could send flowers, because they would have scattered my ashes already. I feel bad when I take half a day off to do some work on my own computer, or when the site is acting up and I can only answer a few questions, because it takes 5 minutes for a page to come up. Many programmers, developers, hackers and others connected with computers are the same - it's fun to have to think to solve a problem. And satisfying when you come up with the solution.

Lucky is the man who, whether it's a paid job or not, looks forward to what he's going to be doing during the day.

ad_venture

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the answers guys.
I especially liked
"Lucky is the man who, whether it's a paid job or not, looks forward to what he's going to be doing during the day. "

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I say that because I'm a lucky man. I'm retired and get to come here almost every day. (And solving software and hardware problems was fun - and rewarding inside when you finally figured it out - for decades.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon