Always before I've seen the app screens sorted in alpha order. When I say "app screen", I mean the screen where all the installed apps are, where you can long press an app icon and put it on the home screen. So not the home screen, and not the settings-applications lists.

Suddenly, mine are not sorted alphabetically. They seem random. There are no controls on these application screens. Any thoughts?
    01-16-2015 04:29 PM
    How th apps appear depends on which launcher you're running. (The app drawer [not screen] is part of the launcher.) Some launchers have menus, some of them have Sort on the menu. Some just don't.

There's no reason you have to run the stock launcher - it's just an app. (It happens to be the one Android runs when it finishes booting.) Try different ones. Apex and S Launcher both allow sorting by name, date, etc.
    01-16-2015 05:20 PM
    I'm running Cyanogenmod. I figured I did something since the app list has always been alphabetical through all versions of Android including Cm until this week. And I noticed the launchers talk about customizing the home screen. I'm not talking about the home screen, I'm talking about the underlying app list. Is that part of launcher too?
    01-18-2015 07:38 AM
    Yep, both of them are the launcher. They may have changed launchers or launcher defaults in the latest version. There's no reason you have to use the launcher that comes with a ROM -a all it affects is the launcher. I don't think I've used anything but Nova for well over a year, and Go or ADW before that. (I've had Samsung phones, and TouchWiz was developed by someone with no taste, no talent and no understanding of users. Typical of people who design apps on paper, then let code monkeys figure out how to put a round top on the square bottom. Actual developers, who actually use the apps, do a better job.)
    01-18-2015 05:13 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I did go to the home page and finally figured out the menu (long press on the desktop) and there were the options. Changing Sort Mode changed the app screens but didn't rearrange my home screen. Perfect.
    01-19-2015 08:21 AM