Accidentally Clicked Ad

TowerShield

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
So I was on a site today, and I accidentally clicked an ad. It sent me to one of those sketchy, "Congratulations, you won," sites. I went back immediately, and ran an AVG scan. It came clean, but I'm paranoid. Am I okay?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably. It's like getting a "you won" notice in the mail and throwing it out. If you had clicked on the "you won" site, you'd probably be asked to fill out all sorts of information, including a credit card number or Social Security number, or something else to allow them to steal your identity. You didn't gill anything out, so all they have is your IP address - which is about as permanent as the wind direction. (Disconnect your router from the modem, wait 5 minutes, connect it again and you have a different IP address.) They know the town you live in, that's about all.

TowerShield

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Probably. It's like getting a "you won" notice in the mail and throwing it out. If you had clicked on the "you won" site, you'd probably be asked to fill out all sorts of information, including a credit card number or Social Security number, or something else to allow them to steal your identity. You didn't gill anything out, so all they have is your IP address - which is about as permanent as the wind direction. (Disconnect your router from the modem, wait 5 minutes, connect it again and you have a different IP address.) They know the town you live in, that's about all.
Okay. Good. There's nothing in the downloads folder, so I should be fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan