Effects of Moving to "Google Apps" on android

AprilStorm

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have had an android phone for about two months now and I am very happy with it.
I linked it to my business gmail account and it syncs mail, contacts, calendar, reader, docs etc as normal with that google account.
I also have my personal gmail on the phone. I don't use the calendar or other apps for that.
I have a separate google account, using my work domain email as logon.
I have been considering moving to Google Apps thinking it would simplify everything. However it seems to complicate stuff.
Has anyone here done anything like that? Can anyone give me advice?
I guess I import all my old work google account stuff to google apps and then reset the phone and set it up with the new google apps account.
However the Market is linked to my old google account so I will lose all paid apps.
Secondly google analytics is linked to my work domain email and I think bringing that into google apps using the same work domain email is not possible.
I am surprised. I thought they would make it easy for me to spend with them. But all the searches I have done so far indicate that others have had lots of problems with this.
Any help or insights would be appreciated.
Thanks

SaltheTech

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying that you have 2 google accounts and want them both on your phone but only want to use the google apps for one of them? Just add the other account. All of the google apps that I use on my phone ask me which google account to use when I open them the first time. I also have 2 accounts on my phone.

AprilStorm

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
Lets see if I can clearly set out what I am trying to do.

On the desktop I want to have Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Docs, Reader, Analytics etc all on the Google Apps account.
I then want the Calendar, Contacts, Docs, Reader on the phone to sync to that Google Apps account.
Right now my phone is registered to one of my google|(gmail) accounts and this is linked to the market/checkout account. The calendar, contacts, docs, reader on the phone right now sync to this account also. But this is not the google apps account.
Google apps will give me more storage and a 99.9% uptime per the SLA.

I hope this explains it better.
Am I finding problems where there are none. I don't think so - this seems to be an issue others have also been asking about.
Thanks

AprilStorm

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Afterthought,
even the terminology may be confusing. When we talk about Google Apps are we referring to the same thing?

When I refer to Google Apps, I mean the service, called Google Apps, from Google providing independently customizable versions of several Google products under a custom domain name. It features several Web applications with similar functionality to traditional office suites, including: Gmail, Google Groups, Google Calendar, Talk, Docs and Sites.

On the phone, I refer to the apps as Android Apps.
I think when you referring to Google Apps on your phone you may have meant Android Apps.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Google Apps. Well, I use their spreadsheet application and it works for simple sheets, but when you get in to complex ones, it looses out completely. Conversions are required and what bothers me is that I edit a sheet on my laptop and load it up, get an error message that it cannot convert, copy it to the Evo, load it up and it converts. It also has issues on cell formatting. I move things around with it, occasionally update a file on the Evo, upload it to Goggle Docs and download it to the laptop, but really, it is not there yet.

heberman

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch. I just did the following:

1. I added my Google apps gmail info to the mail and calendar program as a a second account.

2. I left my old gmail address on the phone and just disabled syncing or notifications from this old address.

3. I had a ton of email which I moved to my new Google Apps account. I used "Gmail Backup" to backup all of my gmail onto my PC and then I restored it onto the Google apps account. It took a couple of days to do the import/export.

That's it. Everything works great.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That is a lot of work. I have used Google Documents w/spreadsheets, word processing, et cetera and though it works, it does not offer the degree of compatibility I want. If one were to totally get away from Word, Excel, et cetera, then after cleaning up the differences, I see no problem other than the need to access the system when you do not have an Internut connection. I have a 17" laptop, one rather large spreadsheet I use throughout the week, and editing it via Google Docs is not anywhere as convenient as doing it locally. I would not consider it seriously at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair