Beginner Android Game Building Application

bern75

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been interested in getting my 10 yr into programming and just the other day he showed me a web page for an program called Buildbox. It is a nice program but it is expensive. I want to get him interested in game programming, instead of just playing the game, I don't want to throw him in the deep end and start with Java programming only to scare him off of programming all together. What I am looking for, is any suggestions, for a game programming application, that is basic (but will let him grow as he learns) and publish the game on Google Play. I would prefer it to not be too expensive but understand that a good game will have some overhead costs.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to teach him programming, start with programming (which has no more to do with programming languages than French has to do with being a doctor in France). Programming is a methodology. (I earned my living writing code for 40 years, and the best program I ever saw was written by a mechanical engineer - in English and pictures. I coded it for him.)

"Writing" a game by using a "game writing application" is like paint by number - at very best you produce a fair copy of something that someone else already did, and you don't understand a thing about it.

Ten isn't too young to begin to learn to think logically. (If he's right-brained - not logical - let him become an artist. Short people shouldn't try out for the NBA and people who are 6'6" tall and muscular shouldn't try to be jockeys. Programming is a left-brain activity.) Watch an episode of Scorpion. Programmers think like the Walter character - see a problem, see a program to solve it, just like that. (Figuring out how to make the computer do what the solution is, is the thing that takes time.) If his life isn't a series of things to solve, he won't be a good programmer. If it is, he's already a good programmer, he just has to learn to do it with computers. Kids who recognize Morgan Freeman in their sleep, and think Nova is a great series, make great programmers.

Let him learn programming, even with Logo to start. (It's easy enough for first-graders, but useful enough to learn some pretty complex programming concepts.) If he wanted to learn to play baseball, would you send him to the majors right away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21