Who is using a Screen capture app (Unrooted)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So if you look in the app market there are screen capture apps that claim that they can be used unrooted. I would like to know if these claims are true or what.

I would check these apps out myself. unfortunately i only have one phone and its rooted.

So that we can continue to help people can you let us know if you are using a screen capture app unrooted.

please include what phone you are using and what app.

thank you very much

Edit:

there are three that i know of that are free , please let me know if there are more

1. Shoot me

2. ScreenShot it

3. Drocap2

Also we are looking for what build of android you are using

Thank you.

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am rooted now, but I tried ShootMe before being rooting a month or so ago and I could not successfully get it to work properly. I have a Samsung Fascinate. I too am curious about these claims, because there shouldn't be any reason it would work without Superuser permissions.

Reactions: DroidXcon

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been using shoot me on my Evo for months now and it works perfectly without rooting. I think Evo is one of the only phones that doesn't require rooting since 2.2 to use shoot me.

Reactions: DroidXcon

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually shoot me states it's for rooted phones only.

Thats the point of this thread, Both kinster02 and Johnly both say shoot me worked/works for them without root.

So reguardless of what it says people have been able to get it to work so i want to know of the people that can get it to work, what phones allow it and what apps work

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so I decided to do a little testing myself. I whipped out my old Original Droid; which is unrooted, and installed ShootMe on it. It indeed is working, even though it's not rooted and you should need Superuser permissions (after all, the program does request for them if you're rooted). Very, very strange.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I decided to do a little testing myself. I whipped out my old Original Droid; which is unrooted, and installed ShootMe on it. It indeed is working, even though it's not rooted and you should need Superuser permissions (after all, the program does request for them if you're rooted). Very, very strange.

Great , thanks Chris, so this is great for people who can use it without having to root their phone since there are many people out there that choose not to. But at the same time i wonder if that means there is a security hole.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Great , thanks Chris, so this is great for people who can use it without having to root their phone since there are many people out there that choose not to. But at the same time i wonder if that means there is a security hole.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I know when I tried it a while back on my Fascinate before it was rooted, it didn't work. It would make the snapshot sound, but wouldn't actually take a capture of the screen. Is it maybe a hole in Eclair? My OG Droid is running FroYo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair