Hello all. It's been a while since I've been active on here, but I figured I'd make a comeback, and what better way to come back other than asking for help?!

I recently purchased the LG Volt 4G through Sprint Prepaid last November, and I absolutely love the phone, but I am having a pesky annoyance with it. Sometimes, more times than not, my home launcher will crash, mainly when I'm using an app, like Facebook, Snapchat, or a game. It started crashing a lot with the stock launcher, which is called "Home" version 4.3.38. After finagling with trying to clear apps out of the task manager after I was done with them, and force stopping some unused apps to clear up RAM, it still would crash. Now by crashing I mean, if I were using Facebook for instance, and I hit the home button on my phone to go to my home screen, my phone would freeze, the home screen would be blank, and then my screen would flash and then all the icons on my home screen would show back up, as if the launcher was restarting. So eventually, I downloaded "Apex Launcher" from the Play Store. It's faster than the stock launcher, but now for the past 6+ weeks, it's been crashing as well. I've set the launcher to "Keep in memory" to reduce crashes, but it still happens so much! I can't even open my messaging app without it taking 2-3 seconds to even open.

Do you all have any ideas?
    Everything is all up-to-date, including the OS.
    Is this a sign that it's time to root and over-clock the device so it stops this crap?!

Thanks for any and all help guys (and gals)!
    02-09-2015 05:36 PM
    I'd guess that some other app you installed may be causing issues. Try booting into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from opening. From a powered on state, press and hold Power until you see the Power Off menu. Then press and hold the Power Off selection until you see the Safe Mode prompt. Tap OK. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you know that something you installed is the culprit--the challenge then is to figure out which app. You may have to uninstall apps one by one. If, on the other hand, the problem remains in Safe Mode, then the issue lies with either the hardware or the system.
    02-09-2015 07:18 PM
    I'd guess that some other app you installed may be causing issues. Try booting into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from opening. From a powered on state, press and hold Power until you see the Power Off menu. Then press and hold the Power Off selection until you see the Safe Mode prompt. Tap OK. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you know that something you installed is the culprit--the challenge then is to figure out which app. You may have to uninstall apps one by one. If, on the other hand, the problem remains in Safe Mode, then the issue lies with either the hardware or the system.
    I just booted into safe mode. So far my phone is running fast like it did the day I got it, not running out of RAM and I can open up multiple apps with Chrome or the Browser open and multitask and go back to the Browser and it isn't reloading the webpage like it used to because it'd run out of memory if I had chrome open and another app and switched between the two of them. But like you said, it disables all of the.downloaded apps. So now comes the hard part. Do you think it could be a.keyboard? Or.would it.be.based more towards an actual app?
    02-09-2015 08:37 PM
    The keyboard is a system app, so it's probably some other app that's interfering.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    02-09-2015 09:33 PM
    The keyboard is a system app, so it's probably some other app that's interfering.

I've downloaded and have been using Google Keyboard, because the LG Keyboard is crap.
    02-09-2015 09:54 PM
    Does Google Keyboard get disabled in Safe Mode?

02-09-2015 10:03 PM
    Does Google Keyboard get disabled in Safe Mode?

Yeah, it got disabled when I entered safe mode. I've just booted back up normally, re-enabled Google Keyboard, and I've uninstalled a few apps like Twitter, Boom Beach, Words With Friends, Auto Words, and I uninstalled Apex Launcher and have the default "Home" in use now for the launcher. So far so good, but I have a feeling it will happen again once my phone is on and used after an hour or so.
    02-09-2015 10:19 PM