thinking of leaving Sprint.... (not an anti sprint post)

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Short story (I hope)

I have a family plan with Sprint that has two EVO's on it. Been having major slow network speeds in my area and Sprint just canceled my contracts. Looking to switch over to a pair of Droid X phones on Verizon.

Question is...

I know the Droid X has been out for a a little while (about as "old" as my EVO) do you think its a good time to make the switch now? I would wait a little bit BUT when I asked Sprint how long i would be contract free she said since I technically have 16 months left they will audit the account after 30 days or so to see why I didn't close the account. And if I was using the lines it could reset my contract. And well not wanting to kick a gift horse in the mouth I left it as it was.

My only concern is how are verzon 3g speeds in my area I know I could try Verizon prior to porting from Sprint... but I like my EVO and my wife said nothing with a screen smaller then her EVO (we both came from iPhones and LOVE the screen on these EVOs - I assume the droid x is same or maybe better) Then 2nd kicker is what if they announe a better phone in 2 months (which I know will always be the case but maybe 6-8 months out LOL)

Data speeds on 3g has been around 110-300kb down and .6 - 1.1mb up.

Side note - I have to say Sprint customer service has been great this whole time, makes want to stay!

OK thanks in advance
John

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and verizon share coverage/roaming towers so you might actually be getting the same speeds lol.

Sprint is going to be way cheaper than Verizon, even with the 10$ Evo charge.

Something better is always going to be coming out, the Evo and DX will not be THAT outdated in a year. Btw, sprint is getting a 4G CDMA version of the G2 in january and ill be getting that. Just sayin ;)

I'd stay with sprint.

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has Sprint & works for Verizon, I say stay with Sprint. The data charges will eat you alive. Even with my Verizon discount, Sprint is still cheaper. If it's a matter of coverage, it's true. Sprint/Verizon share SOME of the same towers but not all. You could have a tower that's not being shared. Call 1-800-VERIZON and select the option for wireless and have that tell you what the speeds are in your area. Customer service will help you out all the way..but...like I said, data charges will basically double your bill. REAL TALK FROM A VERIZON EMPLOYEE!

Reactions: johnner1999

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has Sprint & works for Verizon, I say stay with Sprint. The data charges will eat you alive. Even with my Verizon discount, Sprint is still cheaper. If it's a matter of coverage, it's true. Sprint/Verizon share SOME of the same towers but not all. You could have a tower that's not being shared. Call 1-800-VERIZON and select the option for wireless and have that tell you what the speeds are in your area. Customer service will help you out all the way..but...like I said, data charges will basically double your bill. REAL TALK FROM A VERIZON EMPLOYEE!

Thanks for the info --monthly bill should be about $125 for 700-talk/text plan both unlimited data (including my employer's discount I get and the free voice for the 2nd line) damn tempting it is as its about what I pay now.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I know the Droid X has been out for a a little while (about as "old" as my EVO) do you think its a good time to make the switch now?
No but dual cores and LTE are must-haves on my upgrade list so that may not be relevant to you.

My only concern is how are verzon 3g speeds in my area I know I could try Verizon prior to porting from Sprint...
But what? I mean, what's stopping you from trying them if that's the big concern?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't charge for data roaming, just throwing it out there but have you tried to set your mobile network to home only or to affiliated networks (something like that)?

Give it a shot if you haven't: from the home screen > menu > settings > wireless & networks - the idea is to try to force the phone to stay on a local sprint tower or if that is too slow have it stick with a shared verizon tower.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't charge for data roaming, just throwing it out there but have you tried to set your mobile network to home only or to affiliated networks (something like that)?

Give it a shot if you haven't: from the home screen > menu > settings > wireless & networks - the idea is to try to force the phone to stay on a local sprint tower or if that is too slow have it stick with a shared verizon tower.

Done that - when I only use Sprint it is slightly better coverage wise; but data speeds still stink. Voice is 1000x better still then when we had iPhones. Roaming in my area I guess is restricted to non evdo - all I get is 1x at best and most of the time they do not respond data wise. Voice is OK...

thanks though for the suggestion!!!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Done that - when I only use Sprint it is slightly better coverage wise; but data speeds still stink. Voice is 1000x better still then when we had iPhones. Roaming in my area I guess is restricted to non evdo - all I get is 1x at best and most of the time they do not respond data wise. Voice is OK...

thanks though for the suggestion!!!

No problem, I'm worried though that you might not have any better service with VZW after doing that.

Hm, How's t-mo in your neck of the woods?

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
No problem, I'm worried though that you might not have any better service with VZW after doing that.

Hm, How's t-mo in your neck of the woods?

Yeah that is what I'm "worried" about - yeah I know I can try Verizon out but maybe I'm just being lazy LOL

yeah look up zip code 06791 - wish I could go t-mobile :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34