My contract with AT&T is up in about 10 days and I'm looking around for my next phone. Currently I am using a Blackberry Bold 9000.

I've done some scouting around and have narrowed it down to each phone I like from the different carriers. Unfortunately if I stick with AT&T, I'll be getting the iPhone 4 since there isn't a great Android device out for them and I don't like the Captivate.

Here are my choices...

Sprint Evo 4G
    Verizon Droid 2 or the Droid X

Here is a little about me...

While I enjoy having a physical keyboard on my phone, it's not a deal breaker for me if I don't have one on the next one. I can learn to deal with a virtual keyboard if need be.

I am a power user and enjoy sending e-mails, texts, taking pictures, browsing the web and such. Right now I get the luxury of doing several of those things well with the Blackberry but hate the small screen and the camera is awful.

I want to go to the provider with the best value and phone and I live in Central Texas if that matters.

So I turn to you, AndroidCentral in helping me decide which phone to buy. I've lurked for a while and hope to have a productive future here.
    12-21-2010 12:42 AM
    The three that you have listed are all good devices. I have the DX and D2 and personally like the x better due to the larger screen. If the keyboard is important to you, I would also look at the droid pro. It has a portrait keyboard that would be close to what you are used to with your bb.
    12-21-2010 12:57 AM
    There's really nothing in the requirements that helps to narrow down the selection. Always pick your carrier first based on coverage where you need it (you might need to talk to others with service in your area). Be sure to check out the devices you're considering in person to assess preferences that can only be assessed in person.
    12-21-2010 08:39 AM
    I agree with the post above and pick a carrier first. IMHO I like the Evo the best of the three you listed and if it was available on Verizon I would have it. Don't forget about the Dinc if you go with Verizon that is still my number one choice on Big Red.
    12-21-2010 11:11 AM
    Those are my top two phones. Evo4g and the Droidx.
    There's always the rumored Motorola Olympus supposedly coming to at&t in the begining of next year.
    12-21-2010 11:24 AM
    While I would recommend the droidx or evo4g which are great phones just rather large compared to the Captivate. What dont you like about the captivate? I love my captivate and I switched to it from a Blackberry Bold 9000. The Captivate might not have an official 2.2 build from at&t, but Cognition Rom 2.3b8 is working rock solid, if you need hsupa, then a perception build, both cognition and perception are both using the Voodoo lag fix 5, which the phone just flys with out any issues. The captivate will be getting gingerbread *2.3*, as there has been work going on getting Gingerbread ported out to the Galaxy S phones.

HTH,
    Charlie
    12-21-2010 12:10 PM
    I came from a berry to the droid x and haven't been happier. Seeing as your coming from berry you are used to a long battery life. The x and d2 imho are the best for that. The evo with its 4g is amazing. I would suggest to playing with the different phones. The blur and sense ui are very different.

I played around with the
    Droid x
    Droid incredible
    Droid 2
    Evo 4g
    Droid pro

My personal pick is still the droid x.

Swyped from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-21-2010 12:21 PM
    Thanks for all of your responses so far.

@Smitty_82 — I tried the Droid Pro and just didn't like it. Screen wasn't big enough and didn't feel right in my hands.

@takeshi — What would help narrow down the selection? All three carriers (AT&T, Sprint and Verizon) work well in my area but AT&T and Verizon are the best. I've checked all of the devices out in person and liked them all. Wanted to know from you folks which ones really stand out. I've read tons of reviews but personal experience matters a lot more.

@mclarryjr — I've seen the DINC, but just don't like the optical 'mouse' it has. Blackberry has kind of ruined all of that kind of stuff for me.

@Cyber Warrior — Here's to hoping something better will come out. Haven't heard of the Olympus. Edit: Wow. Just checked it out and like it a lot.

@dmnall — The Captivate felt sluggish to me even with the amazing specs. What do you like about the Captivate?

@juggalofx — I've tried them all and can't really tell a huge difference. I'm a bigger fan of Sense UI than Blur, but there are certain things about each phone that stick out for me. What made the transition from Blackberry so easy for you.
    12-21-2010 01:53 PM
    I was big into loading in hybrids and leaks into my tour. So a week into owning my x I rooted and went from there. Here is things you will miss

True push email (gmail does great but still not as great as on the berry

Bbm- there is great "like bbm" apps out there but none are as good

Battery- I got about 14-16 hours of medium to heavy use out of my tour. Where as my x is about 10-12.

Gps always on- with my berry I could leave the gps on and have no battery drain what so ever. It its a killer to the android phones.

What I did to get used to the switch was search for things that made my phone work more for me. I use launcher pro to give my x that sense ui feel with the moto strength.

I loaded tranq rom to get rid of the boat and lash of moto blur while still being able to use the great apps that come with the phone

Swype was the next big thing. I worried going from physical keyboard top touch would slow me down. Trust me it has not. Case in point this while post to this point took me 4 min to swype up.

There is more but can't think of any on the top of my head. Feel free to ask me I will tell you anything I know

Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-21-2010 07:07 PM
    Also a long time ex Berry user. Try k9 mail or touchdown. I use k9 and get my emails pushed just as fast as on my Berry. It needs to be set up correctly in order to get the instant push just right. You can Google it or send me a pm....more than happy to send you the settings.
    12-21-2010 08:23 PM
    @juggalofx Thanks for the great answer. With CES around the corner, I'm wondering if I should hold off on picking up a phone, say the Droid X, and wait to see what might come out in the next few months.
    12-22-2010 01:55 AM
    What would help narrow down the selection?
    Basically any requirement that is met by one or more phones but not all of them. I'm essentially saying that pretty much any device will do what you're asking. You'd have to use additional selection criteria to narrow things down. Choosing a carrier will narrow things down on its own.

True push email (gmail does great but still not as great as on the berry
    Push email is available on Android. Even "true push email". Not sure what the latter means as it's either push or it isn't.

I was a long-time Blackberry user with an Exchange account and BES. I don't miss it. I definitely prefer Android and ActiveSync (with Touchdown). For one thing, I get true sync. Even with BES email is only pushed and then reconciled.

Seeing as your coming from berry you are used to a long battery life. The x and d2 imho are the best for that.
    While some devices may have better battery life than others, individual usage greatly impacts battery life and I'd suggest that every new Android user assume that he/she will need to analyze battery usage and make adjustments.

Gps always on- with my berry I could leave the gps on and have no battery drain what so ever. It its a killer to the android phones.
    Here's another common misunderstanding. Leaving GPS on will not kill your battery. Active use of the GPS receiver will. They're not the same thing. If you can't control how your apps are using the GPS receiver and they're frequently using it without your knowledge then it might be easiest just to turn it off. Personally, I haven't had that issue. Obviously, YMMV.

If I actively used the GPS receiver on my Blackberry it would also quickly kill my BB's battery.

Swype was the next big thing. I worried going from physical keyboard top touch would slow me down. Trust me it has not. Case in point this while post to this point took me 4 min to swype up.
    Keyboard are highly subjective preferences. I like Swype as well. That doesn't mean that every ex-BB user will though.

Also a long time ex Berry user. Try k9 mail or touchdown.
    Just be aware the Touchdown is really only relevant to Exchange (and a very few other mail servers) users.
    12-22-2010 08:51 AM
    Its weird then I haven't left my gps on since the first week with my x. I don't run any apps that rashly use it except foursquare. And iv would lose about a hour off battery with it on. Now that didn't sound bad but my x is my mp3 player while I am working so I don't want to have it lose any time while at work.

12-22-2010 11:26 AM
    @takeshi If I had to narrow it down more, I'm only looking to stay on AT&T or switch to Verizon. T-Mobile evidently has some great service in Central Texas, but I don't trust it elsewhere since I need to travel a lot for work. I'd also like to have a true HDMI out and a simple UI. I'm not a big fan of rooting, haven't done anything with my Blackberry other than install new operating systems but could get into it more if needed.
    12-22-2010 02:33 PM
    @takeshi If I had to narrow it down more, I'm only looking to stay on AT&T or switch to Verizon. T-Mobile evidently has some great service in Central Texas, but I don't trust it elsewhere since I need to travel a lot for work. I'd also like to have a true HDMI out and a simple UI. I'm not a big fan of rooting, haven't done anything with my Blackberry other than install new operating systems but could get into it more if needed.
    Well as far as rooting goes it is a simple click of a button on the x. And roms are very easy and make your phone wicked easy to control

12-22-2010 03:36 PM
    ...While I enjoy having a physical keyboard on my phone, it's not a deal breaker...

I am a power user and enjoy sending e-mails, texts, taking pictures, browsing the web and such...

I want to go to the provider with the best value...
    Here are some key things from Getting Started with Android.

Choose your carrier first. Check out the Sensorly app to see your block-by-block coverage. Sensorly maps coverage as users drive. The Sensorly.com online maps has few zoom levels but you will get the idea.

You qualify for a 5% to 27% discount with the Spint EVP Discount.

Once you go to the new predictive Keyboards like SwiftKey, it is hard to go back to the slow speed of a physical keyboard. SwidftKey learns how you think and predicts your words saving keystrokes. There is a Free Trial.
    Swype is now back in a public beta and set the World texting speed record. There are a number of other Keyboards shown in that topic.

You are not limited to just the Applications that come on your phone. There are many great alternatives:

Email: K-9 Mail adds many features. • Touchdown for Microsoft Exchange.
    Messaging: Consider HandCent SMS and • ChompSMS
    Internet: Consider Dolphin Browser HD and Opera Mini browser
    Music Players: Music PlayerMeridianTuneWiki
    • eReaders: • KindleNOOK A million free books
    Cameras - Here are 1400+ camera and photo apps

Oh, and get the EVO. There's a reason why it is named phone of the year by so many.
    12-22-2010 09:08 PM
    I have a Droid X. I don't send a lot of e-mails so I can't tell you how good it is, but I text a lot. And the swype feature that only comes with a touch screen is really good and fast. Especially for longer words like "continually," "blankets," etc. swype won't miss it. Droid X is a little big, so you can't type very well with one hand. So, texting and driving will definitely be a challenge. The camera on Droid X is a lot better than BBs, obviously. And with apps like Fx Camera, you can get some pretty nice pictures. Browsing the web and such is better because of the large screen.

I really wanted to get a BB. But because I'm not in business or anything (I'm in college), I thought it wasn't necessary and picked Droid X. I'm pretty happy with it and I recommend it.
    12-22-2010 09:58 PM
    @milominderbinder That's a lot of great information there. Unfortunately my company doesn't allow me to get a Sprint discount but my bank does, so that's pretty cool. I just don't know about their coverage in my area. I've heard some bad things but those maps say otherwise. When I checked out the Evo, I loved it but have heard suspect things about the battery life. That's my only reservation, as well as network.

@sukjeffery The more I check out the Droid X, the more I like it, but I don't want to buy it and then have one of these other phones come out and I'm left in the dust. I like having the freedom right now to choose and don't want to be dragged down in case something else comes along. I send a bunch of e-mails but with your experiences, texting seems pretty easy.
    12-23-2010 02:41 AM
    @dmnall The Captivate felt sluggish to me even with the amazing specs. What do you like about the Captivate?
    i haven't played with many of the Droid phones but I have a nice ROM on my Captivate and it gets HSPA+, nothing sluggish about it. My phone is FAST!!
    12-24-2010 05:09 PM
    Seriously giving thought to the Epic 4G or the Droid 2. Only problem with the Droid 2 to me is that the touchscreen isn't the best but the keyboard is pretty cool. Also, not too much a fan of the processor. On the Epic 4G, I love the screen and the keyboard, but worry about Sprint's coverage. It looks fine according to the map but not sure how much to trust that.
    12-31-2010 03:35 AM
    If its just the keyboard you like you might as well wait and see what new devices will be released at CES. I'm sure there will be something with a landscape keyboard.

As for Sprints coverage it depends on your area but they have a good reputation for signal quality. Out where I am Verizon and sprint get the best coverage while at&t has the worst. See if you know anyone with sprint and ask them how their coverage is or you always have 30 days to cancel their service once you subscribe.
    12-31-2010 09:25 AM
    Well, I'm back again.

Decided to wait for new phones to come out and I'm quite happy I did. Still on AT&T, so I'm looking at the HTC Inspire but am in love with the Thunderbolt on Verizon. I know a lot of people are talking up the Atrix, but I wouldn't use it for more than a phone, internet and the like.

So what do you folks think?

EDIT: Does the HTC Inspire have an HDMI out?
    02-01-2011 01:38 PM

EDIT: Does the HTC Inspire have an HDMI out?
    As far as I can tell, no.
    02-01-2011 01:51 PM
    As far as I can tell, no.
    Then we might need to rule that one out.
    02-01-2011 02:00 PM
    Just waiting for Valentine's Day since both the HTC Inspire and Thunderbolt will be out. Decision will be made then. While the Inspire doesn't have an HDMI out, I think I can get along without it.
    02-03-2011 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD