Why is my Samsung Trend phone (GT-S7583T) no longer showing message notifications?

A

AC Question

Why has my Samsung Trend phone (GT-S7583T) no longer showing message notifications

Yesterday I got an important phone call from my boss following up on a text message she had sent earlier and wondering why I had not got it. I checked my phone after the call and there were no message notifications. Later in the day a friend texted me - I was notified to the text by the usual notification sound, but when I looked at my phone there was no little number one on the envelope icon to show a message was there. So if I had not heard the notification I would not know I had a message. When I opened my inbox I found my friend's message as well as the earlier one from my boss and one from my father. I don't want to have to be constantly checking my inbox to see if I have messages so would really like to get message notifications back. I thought perhaps I had accidentally turned them off, but cannot find any setting that will turn them back on.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why has my Samsung Trend phone (GT-S7583T) no longer showing message notifications

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Were you looking in the phones main settings, or can you open the Message app - Menu - Settings and find a Notification area.

This is a Galaxy Note 3 on Android 4.4.

f09e504425e0763c01407d5f310b5dc2.jpg

Heather EC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why has my Samsung Trend phone (GT-S7583T) no longer showing message notifications

Yes I can access that menu but the notifications is already checked, so I should be receiving notifications. My phone beeps when there is a message but the icon does not show a number one indicating a message in my inbox. My sister played with my phone on Wednesday and found it was halfway through downloading an update. I cancelled the update and notifications started working again. I have done nothing new to my phone or agreed to any updates since then, but today (Friday) the problem has started again.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Yes I can access that menu but the notifications is already checked, so I should be receiving notifications. My phone beeps when there is a message but the icon does not show a number one indicating a message in my inbox. My sister played with my phone on Wednesday and found it was halfway through downloading an update. I cancelled the update and notifications started working again. I have done nothing new to my phone or agreed to any updates since then, but today (Friday) the problem has started again.

Hi. Thanks for registering.

An important issue for you. I get a lock screen notice and icon with Android 4.4.2.

I can't offer anything myself, but this will bump it up, and I will try to have an ambassador here look at this soon.

Are you still on the Android version you had been on (4.3/4.4?) or has it changed in the About Device setting?

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

It's an Android version 4.4.2
UK time here. Try clearing sms threads off the device if you have a lot, I read this can cause issues. You can back them up and read them on a Gmail inbox folder if you use SMS Backup +, others use SMS Backup and Restore.

Also try a cache partition wipe in Recovery Mode with the phone off.

Hold Volume UP + Power + Home together, on the recovery screen scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition with the volume buttons, and select this with the Power button, then Power again when Reboot is highlighted (it's safe if you make a mistake).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=283020
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=298808

Also try this question again in Android Central Community - Introductions, more experienced ambassadors may miss this, and there is also General Help and How To forum where you will also find Ambassadors Guides to various issues.

747e9bc4725bde7bf5d65c1fe79b2bd9.jpg
5a705da301b1cabc6e5f43592e1f4db8.jpg

Heather EC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. I only got the phone recently and I delete message threads regularly so it shouldn't be a memory problem. I will try posting the question where you suggest.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood