I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 for my wife. I need identical contacts on both , hence have uploaded the contacts to a Google Gmail account and am syncing both telephones from there. There are no contacts saved on the mobiles. Problem is the contacts on both telephones are not complete, one has more and one has less. Secondly from the wife's telephone new contacts added manually do not get synced to Gmail Contacts. Can someone please advice if what I am doing is the best way or is there some other better way to maintain two mobile phone contacts always synced.
    03-23-2015 03:03 AM
    I don't have any Samsung devices so I don't know exactly how the Contacts app on yours works, but in general Gmail (aka Google) contacts work about the same on any Android device. I keep several contact lists synced across several devices and a couple of PCs with no problems. It does work.

What's happening is when a new contact is added on the A5 it is not being saved to the shared Gmail account. New contacts are being saved to the phone only. So when contacts are synced, the A5 has more than the S5. If you set the Contacts app on the A5 to show Gmail contacts only, the list will very likely match that on the S5. It must be set now to show all contacts, Gmail + those stored only on the phone, so it shows more than the S5.

Nothing is actually wrong. Just be sure that when new entries are made on either phone they are saved to the shared Gmail account.

Also, contacts can be shared by adding her Google account to your phone or vice versa. That way you can avoid the need for an extra account just for sharing, unless, of course, you prefer it that way.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    18pcs likes this.
    03-23-2015 08:41 AM
    Thanks for your elaborate reply. I did as you suggested. Now atleast I have achieved one thing. identical contacts in number on both the phones viz 807. But my Google Contacts have 812 (my iphone contacts from which I have updated the Google contacts also had 812 contacts) and I cannot get any of the phones to reflect this number ? Any ideas/suggestions please, thanks
    03-23-2015 09:21 PM
    Hmmm...the only thing I can think of to try is:

Turn off sync on the phone.
    Delete all Gmail contacts on the phone.
    Turn sync back on and resync.

Hopefully you now have 812 contacts on the phone, same as in your Gmail contacts online.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    03-24-2015 10:07 AM