Why isn't my PC recognizing my Samsung Galaxy S5 through the USB?

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
PC not recognizing my Samsung Galaxy S5 through USB, HELP!

Whenever I connect my phone to my computer via USB, it says "USB Device not recognized". I look in my device manager and I see 4 devices come up called "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" show up under "Other devices", yet they got yellow warning symbols next to them.

My phone connects to my PC via Bluetooth fine, but the USB just wont work! I've searched the web but most things are outdated or just don't work...

Extra detail:

-PC is running Windows 7 ultimate x64
-Samsung Galaxy S5 is on Android 5.0, but didn't work on previous versions either

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: PC not recognizing my Samsung Galaxy S5 through USB, HELP!

Have you tried installing Samsung Kies on your computer? Might need the drivers there to be able to use your S5 in your computer.

If you haven't done so, I'd recommend to first uninstall any devices that might have been installed incorrectly or without the driver. Then reboot your computer, and then install Kies. See if that helps.

If you DO have Kies install, do the same with uninstalling devices, but this time also uninstall Kies. Reboot, re-install Kies.

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Tried this, didn't work unfortunately. I have also tried installing the driver by itself to no avail :(
Thanks for the quick post

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

So, even Kies doesn't see your phone when connected via USB?

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Correct. But there is a kies update as I type... installing.... doing things.... ok. Gonna try now.

Interesting... when I try to update the driver through kies, it makes windows search for the 4 bluetooth device drivers as mentioned above. It still fails to find those though

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I saw your other thread... you're using an OTG cable? How exactly? OTG's are just adapters to connect full USB devices to your micro-USB port... Do you have a 'standard' USB cable to use? One that's not used for chargers?

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Sorry for late reply, been busy. I use the normal cable and tried microUSB 3.0, I just thought that using the OTG once may have buggered something up. Ive done a factory reset recently and the problem still shows.

Another interesting thing though, I got a Windows Tablet recently and tried it on that, which yields some interesting results. The phone would show that it connected to a USB device (it never does that) and then the notification would vanish. Phone doesnt show up on tablet. But when I take it out, it shows that its been disconneced from usb on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The Windows tablet isn't a USB host, so you can't connect the phone to it, it just connects at the hardware level (something is connected to the data lines). It really sounds as if there's a problem with the S5. Since it's still under warranty, why not just back it up, then take it back or, if you're in the US, take it to the Samsung tech at a Best Buy.

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

The Windows tablet isn't a USB host, so you can't connect the phone to it, it just connects at the hardware level (something is connected to the data lines). It really sounds as if there's a problem with the S5. Since it's still under warranty, why not just back it up, then take it back or, if you're in the US, take it to the Samsung tech at a Best Buy.

You could be right. thanks for the help

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Did you checkmark "use this device as media storage"? Mine was already checkmarked the first time I connected to my PC wih a USB cable (any USB cable will work as long as the business end will fit your phone). I had to wait a few seconds for it to install drivers and then recognize the phone as a device drive.

Kaby Perez

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Try this:

If you Samsung galaxy S5 is not showing a USB connection type , such as MTP-Media Device or PTP-Camera. Then follow these steps. Most people are complaining that no connection type appears when the device is connected. When they pull the notification tab down to check, nothing appears, only the notification sound

>Enter Dialer

>*#0808#

>Where you see USB settings, check the MTP button and click Ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs