01-02-2011 01:41 AM
26 12
tools
    Ok my wife wants an Android. She likes what I am able to do with my Captivate and would like to do so herself but she/I have quite a feature demand set.

It must have physical Qwerty kb.(She)
    It must be smaller than my Captivate.(She)
    It must have android 2.2 or greater
    It must have at least 2 gig flash avail and prefer microsdhc slot
    It must be as fast or faster than the Captivate
    And would prefer if its not an LG if possible.

It seems this phone doesnt exist, I cant find any 1ghz smaller than my Captivate with 2.2 and a keyboard let alone meeting all the other features. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    12-27-2010 03:45 PM
    Ok my wife wants an Android. She likes what I am able to do with my Captivate and would like to do so herself but she/I have quite a feature demand set.

It must have physical Qwerty kb.(She)
    It must be smaller than my Captivate.(She)
    It must have android 2.2 or greater
    It must have at least 2 gig flash avail and prefer microsdhc slot
    It must be as fast or faster than the Captivate
    And would prefer if its not an LG if possible.

It seems this phone doesnt exist, I cant find any 1ghz smaller than my Captivate with 2.2 and a keyboard let alone meeting all the other features. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    First we need to know what carriers she wants or needs to use?
    12-27-2010 04:49 PM
    My assumption is that you are on AT&T since you have the captivate, and if you're sort of in a position where you have to stay with them, unfortunately you don't have much to choose from right from the get-go.

Is staying with AT&T or having her on AT&T a priority? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I've known people in the past who were married but on two different carriers.
    12-27-2010 06:24 PM
    What your asking for is a list. Especially if your on AT&T and im also assuming this cause you said you have a captivate. The only smaller phone with android would be the Aria but i dont think its as fast or as good as the Captivate. If leaving carriers is an option or if you wife isnt on AT&T and carrier change is an option the new Evo Shift is coming out on sprint next month.
    12-27-2010 06:48 PM
    Your best bet on Verizon would be the Droid 2/ Droid 2 Global. Not much android wise on ATT.
    12-27-2010 06:54 PM
    Droid Pro is a nice size if you switch to Verizon...or I know a few girls who like the Droid2..
    12-27-2010 06:58 PM
    Carrier is irrelevant, Verizion seems to get the best reception in our home based on informal polling of friends with them. My wife's contract is up Jan 26th. I have no carrier loyalty and am willing to switch her to a new one and I will move there eventually (sick of AT&T and waiting for upgrades). So far the closest phone we have found to what she wants is the G2.
    12-27-2010 07:13 PM
    The Droid phones are all larger than my captivate so are low on her list. To give you an idea she is currently on a Pantech Matrix Pro ( Pantech Matrix PRO (Pantech Mustang 2) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications )and would like something between its size and the size of my captivate.
    12-27-2010 07:22 PM
    The closest thing that I can think of, that's not a Moto Droid on VZW, would be the Incredible, but it does not have the physical keyboard. You may want to spend some time with it even though it does not have the keyboard. I had a keyboard on my must have list until I used the Incredible for about an hour.
    12-27-2010 07:40 PM
    If her contracts not up till 26 Jan, then there will be a lot of new devices that will be coming out after CES. There might be something else that comes out that would be better for her. The HTC Merge comes to mind for that...wlell just have to see.
    12-27-2010 08:39 PM
    How about the Droid Pro? I'm 99% sure it would be smaller then the Captivate.
    12-27-2010 09:40 PM
    How about the Droid Pro? I'm 99% sure it would be smaller then the Captivate.
    Its 3.5mmx1mm smaller in width and height but 1.7mm thicker so all in all its a bit smaller but not by much. its a candidate, but I think the G2 is still the forerunner, it just seems to be a empty part of the market.
    12-28-2010 08:15 AM
    Wait till the Evo shift comes out on sprint. But the G2 isnt a bad choice is actually one of the better android phones out there while almost vanilla android stock on it. I think it will be smoother than your captivate but the screen on the galaxy s phones at least to me are better than almost any screen out there at the moment. Wait till two weeks from now CES is around the corner. New phones coming out and i think the shift might work for her.
    12-28-2010 04:45 PM
    Get an iphone

J/k lol
    12-28-2010 04:54 PM
    What about an Epic? It doesnt necessarily meet all your requirements but it still is pretty good and has some extras like a front-facing camera.
    12-28-2010 05:12 PM
    Get an iphone

J/k lol
    LOL no keyboard, besides she has an ipad.
    12-28-2010 05:16 PM
    What about an Epic? It doesnt necessarily meet all your requirements but it still is pretty good and has some extras like a front-facing camera.
    The only downside to the epic really is size, being related to the captivate its the same size or larger. Thats the only negative for it, well the price is a bit rough too, yes front facing camera is nice but paying $250 for it plus a $10 premium phone plan premium per month that might be a tough swallow, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    12-28-2010 05:18 PM
    First thing I would think of would be the HTC 'Vision' series. The Vision series means the HTC Desire Z, T-Mobile G2, the soon to be released Verizon Merge, & soon to be released HTC Shift Evo for Sprint.

Rumor goes, that AT&T may have its version of the Vision, as the HTC Paradise. There is a possible picture of it but its specs are not confirmed. We may know more in CES.
    12-29-2010 06:27 AM
    This.......

The closest thing that I can think of, that's not a Moto Droid on VZW, would be the Incredible, but it does not have the physical keyboard. You may want to spend some time with it even though it does not have the keyboard. I had a keyboard on my must have list until I used the Incredible for about an hour.
    12-29-2010 08:41 AM
    Thanks everyone, after much deliberation she decided to compromise on the keyboard and went with an unlocked Nexus S. She is wayyy jazzed.
    01-02-2011 12:52 AM
    Well congrats for her! Hope she likes the phone. It is an AWESOME phone and I like it a lot!
    01-02-2011 01:06 AM
    Thanks everyone, after much deliberation she decided to compromise on the keyboard and went with an unlocked Nexus S. She is wayyy jazzed.
    Glad she found her device! Hope she enjoys it.
    01-02-2011 01:22 AM
    Yea droid 2 global would hit the spot..
    01-02-2011 01:25 AM
    Yea droid 2 global would hit the spot..
    Not a fan of the Moto Droids. The Incredible maybe.
    01-02-2011 01:28 AM
    Not a fan of the Moto Droids. The Incredible maybe.
    Since the Dinc is HTC you would still be good on not being a fan of Moto Me on the other hand...
    01-02-2011 01:38 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD