Updating an unlocked Android phone

amoodie

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm new to Android. I just wanted to know if it is still possible to get OS updates to a Droid Pro, even if I'm using it on the Bell Canada network.

I apologize if the question is a stupid one. I've searched the forums for the answer, haven't found it.

Anyone here use unlocked American Android phones on other networks outside of the US? Can you still get updates to the OS?

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm new to Android. I just wanted to know if it is still possible to get OS updates to a Droid Pro, even if I'm using it on the Bell Canada network.

I apologize if the question is a stupid one. I've searched the forums for the answer, haven't found it.

Anyone here use unlocked American Android phones on other networks outside of the US? Can you still get updates to the OS?

I'm not sure if you can get OTA (Over the Air) updates, but you still should be able to apply the update manually, I think. You might be able to download the update when it is available, put it on your phone then flash it. I am not 100 percent sure about that but it seems like it would work right?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can get OTA (Over the Air) updates, but you still should be able to apply the update manually, I think. You might be able to download the update when it is available, put it on your phone then flash it. I am not 100 percent sure about that but it seems like it would work right?

I don't see why this wouldn't work, I think the only problem with an unactivated phone getting an update (in this case, unactivated with Verizon) is actually downloading the update. If you download it yourself, it should work fine.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

To answer your question yes.

I live in Guam, so I am far far away in the Pacific.

My first Android was a MyTouch 3G. T-Mobile. Unlocked. I got it working with our local Docomo Pacific guys. In the first day I got hit with Android 1.6 upgrade. That was last December.

Without any SIM on it, this December, this very phone got hit with the Froyo OTA from T-Mobile. Updated.

On island we got a CDMA carrier that sources phones from Verizon, including various Droids.

Even when I am not running on the Verizon network per se, I got my Droid Eris and my Droid Incredible upgrades, including the Android 2.1 for the Droid Eris, and the Android 2.2 for the Droid Incredible.

It should answer your question, YES.

To understand the upgrade mechanism, the update itself isn't loaded on the carrier servers, but on Google's servers. So even if you're in Swahili, your US carrier Android will get updated straight from Google's servers whether or not its connected to a carrier, or without a SIM and just in Wifi.

Reactions: amoodie

amoodie

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It should answer your question, YES.

To understand the upgrade mechanism, the update itself isn't loaded on the carrier servers, but on Google's servers. So even if you're in Swahili, your US carrier Android will get updated straight from Google's servers whether or not its connected to a carrier, or without a SIM and just in Wifi.

Thank you!!!!!! It's the last bit of information I needed to hear. Really looking forward to my Droid Pro!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol