I have a Nexus 5 running Android 5.1

Whenever I turn off Location the battery continues to drain at a fast rate. I've checked the running apps and the one(s) using Location are no longer running.

If I power off and power back on the phone the battery usage is back to normal.

I had this power drain condition when using Location with KitKat too.

Any ideas please?
    04-15-2015 07:53 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! It would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html
    04-16-2015 09:44 PM
    Thanks B. Diddy for replying ... here are the screenshots

Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-09-19-29.jpg
    Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-09-19-46.jpg
    Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-09-20-17.jpg
    Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-09-20-35.jpg
    04-18-2015 11:56 AM
    I wonder if it really has to do with Location, because I see two issues:

1. Exchange Services looks like it's using way too much battery. Do you need it? Is your email through an exchange server?

2. Your time without signal is pretty high--about 11 hrs out of 22 hrs. That can drain battery as well.
    04-18-2015 12:25 PM
    I typically use car navigation apps (waze, google maps or here) and they all result in the battery drain after they've been used. They all use Location and Data for High Accuracy.

When I arrive home after using one of those navigation apps I do the following:-
    1) Ensure the phone has connected wirelessly to my home network
    2) Ensure the navigation app is not showing in Apps->Running
    3) Turn off Data
    4) Turn off Location

The excessive battery drain continues and I reboot the phone and the excessive battery drain stops.

Normally Exchange Services is a very low consumption of the battery.

The following screenshots are from the phone now. The phone had been using the navigation app so I went through the 4 steps mentioned above and then rebooted the phone. As you can see the excessive battery drain has stopped and there's no mention of Exchange Services which is what I'd expect.

Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-13-09-51.jpg
    Location drains battery-screenshot_2015-04-18-13-10-11.jpg
    04-18-2015 03:31 PM
    That's pretty weird. I don't see why Exchange Services would be related to your navigation apps. Do you use an email that uses an exchange server? If not, go to Settings>Apps>All, select Exchange Services, and tap Disable. If you don't use the stock Email app (i.e., you use the Gmail app instead), you might as well Disable the stock Email app while you're at it.
    04-19-2015 12:58 AM
    I also don't think it's the navigation apps causing the excessive battery drain.

My thought is it's more to do with the data service and that the apps that access the internet are playing a role in the battery drain problem.

Normally I have the Data service turned off. The everyday apps needing access to the internet use the WiFi connection.

When I use the navigation apps I have to turn on the Data service as well as the GPS (Location service).

When I've finished using the navigation app I turn the Data and Location services off and just have the WiFi service turned on.

I'm wondering if the battery drain problem is due to the non navigation apps that usually use WiFi are having problems switching from using WiFi -> Data -> WiFi.

When I reboot the phone only the WiFi service is turned on so all the apps don't have a conflict on how they connect to the internet.
    04-19-2015 12:47 PM
    Apps that use location services don't use mobile data. In many cases you're only within range of one tower, so your location using mobile data could be off by 10 miles.

And the GPS receiver itself, unless there's something wrong with it, uses very little power unless an app is asking for the location. Having Exchange services taking that much battery is suspicious. Also the yellow on the network signal isn't good. It says that the phone has a problem, or the carrier you chose doesn't have good coverage where you are. If the signal from the tower is weak, the signal to the tower is going to be weak, so the phone increases its transmitter power, and that's a bigger battery user than the screen (which is normally the largest user).

Those two, Exchange and a weak mobile signal, are probably your main problems.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-19-2015 01:37 PM
    I disabled wifi and enable data and I also disabled the Exchange Services app and the result was the excessive battery drain started.

So I'm of the mind that it is the poor cellular signal that is causing the excessive battery drain.

I live in an area provided by Sprint Spark data service and I've been testing the signal strength around the neighborhood and the signal strength doesn't improve. I've tried the various settings on the phone ... LTE, 3G, Global and they don't make any difference.

So I don't know whether I have to live with it if I stay with Sprint or whether it's an android issue.
    04-21-2015 09:20 PM
    At this point, I wonder if the firmware is just screwy. You might want to consider reflashing the factory image, following these steps: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central. Find the firmware here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    04-21-2015 10:13 PM