Hi,
    I'm using an iPhone and seek to ditch Apple, its inflated prices and obnoxious iTunes but there are concerns. In late 2014, TMobile and Verizon pushed Digital Turbine to the Note 4 and LG G3 which in turn installed junk apps. I want a good Android phone with expandable memory. I was interested in the LG G4 but like the G3, most likely LG will only sell carrier variants. I looked into the OnePlus One but the camera is just not that good. I'm not interested in rooting and potentially bricking then voiding my warranty.

On the HTC website, i can buy fully unlocked M8 for $499 or M9 for $649.
    My main question is when i insert T-Mobile SIM card, will T-mobile push their carrier iq spyware or are they only able to do that when i get their variant phone from HTC or T-Mobile store?

Who the heck are carriers to decide what's installed on my phone? That's what I like about Apple, none of the carriers get to dip their fingers as to what's installed on my phone. The few Apple apps, I just make an Apple folder and shuv them there.

So should I switch to Android or stick to iOS?
    04-19-2015 11:43 PM
    I want a good Android phone with expandable memory.
    Then you'll have to wait for phones to start coming out of Project Ara. So far, all you can get is phones with expandable data storage.

On the HTC website, i can buy fully unlocked M8 for $499 or M9 for $649.
    My main question is when i insert T-Mobile SIM card, will T-mobile push
    They won't push anything, since it's not their phone. They won't even push updates.

or are they only able to do that when i get their variant phone from HTC or T-Mobile store?
    They're able to do it to any phone connected to their network. They don't.

Who the heck are carriers to decide what's installed on my phone? That's what I like about Apple, none of the carriers get to dip their fingers as to what's installed on my phone. The few Apple apps, I just make an Apple folder and shuv them there.
    Apple can tell the carriers "if you want to sell iPhones, you sell what we give you". Android manufacturers can't, because if, say, HTC said that, the carriers wouldn't carry HTC phones, but people who wanted Android phones could still buy Android phones.

So should I switch to Android or stick to iOS?
    If you're not going to do anything to the phone but install approved apps, why leave Apple, except for price? The whole idea of Android is that you can do it your way. (You can root an HTC without voiding the warranty and remove all the carrier bloat, you don't have to buy it directly from the carrier. Or you can buy a Nexus - that's vanilla Android with no carrier branding..)
    iphone_owner and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2015 11:53 PM
    They won't push anything, since it's not their phone. They won't even push updates.
    They're able to do it to any phone connected to their network. They don't.
    So the stuff I've heard from T-Mobile and Verizon users that their Android phones get junk apps on reboot, that their updates are dependent on carriers is untrue? I am really eager for the LG G4 for the camera, QHD screen, expandable memory storage and removable battery but i will most likely have to buy it on installments from T-Mobile who will most likely install bloatware, push bloatware (like Digital Turbine), and perhaps also depend on them for carrier updates? That is lessening my interest.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not here to hate or annoy anyone just clear up doubts and perhaps, preconceived stereotypes.
    04-20-2015 12:07 AM
    Go nexus....Google branding doesn't have all the drama...and you can unlock and our root with ease.

sent from LGG3 with lollipop
    04-20-2015 10:09 PM
    If you don't have the branded phone, you don't get bloatware. I've been with TMO for years and have used UK phones, Google phones, and now a Chinese phone. I like variety. No crap.
    A couple of years ago, you didn't have to install the update. TMO just notified you.

You can turn off automatic updates in Google, too.

My friend who lets Sprint update everything on demand gets the crap.
    04-21-2015 08:41 AM