Finally considering root

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been hesitant because I love getting updates right when they are available.

Truthfully, the only reason I want to root is to get all of the bloatware off of my droidx. I'm sick of NFS and Madden NFL and god knows what else.

My question is this: If all I do is remove the bloatware, but keep my layout, LPP, same homescreens no custom ROMs, anything like that... Will I see a dramatic increase in speed? That's all that concerns me. How much does bloatware actually affect the speed of a non root phone?

Furthermore, when I want to unroot to get the new update, I'm assuming I'll need to put the bloat back on my phone?

Custom ROM's are just themes right? Like, MIUI is just a ROM that has it's music player, contacts, dialers, and all of that. Am I understanding that correctly?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you just rooting then you'll see no change in the phones performance unless you install a custom ROM. Some ROMs can be themes while others are optimized to improve performance.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is very easy, google z4 root. Do not download from the market since it's a fake.

With z4 root, you do not need to hook it to a computer. Just download, open/install then hit root and let it do it's thing. And if you want to unroot, just click unroot and let it do its thing.

Titaniumbackup is probably a better option. You can freeze the app and unfreeze it. I believe when it comes time to update, you need certain apps. I know CityID and one that is required to be on the phone but I'm not sure about NFL mobile.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you never use any of the stock bloatware, then you're not going to see a performance increase by removing it. You just won't see it. And yes, all original bloatware must be present to successfully install an OTA, which is why it is recommended to simply re-name the bloatware instead of actually deleting it. If you really want it off your phone, move it all to a folder on your memory card so you still have it.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
okay, that seems like good advice. I actually don't even see the bloatware because I use launcher pro, which hides apps from the drawer so it's like they're never there.

I see Rubix defaults to ADW. Are there ROMS for the droid x that defaults to LP? I'm a huge fan of Fede. I've been looking around, it doesn't seem like many ROMS are for Droid X. I was most interested in MUIU, all the other ROMS looks like I can customize my unrooted phone to look like it with a little time (with the exception of playing with the notification bar, which I hide anyway).

I have great battery life on my phone, I don't need to tether, and I only use 4 screens for most my themes, sometimes 5, so speed isn't ever really an issue (certainly not one that .2ghz could solve). Is rooting for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams