Antivirus for Android phones needed?

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have seen the AVG app for android on appbrain a lot lately.
I remember reading a while ago that we really didn't need a antivirus program for the android phones.
Has that changed?
Should I now install AVG from the market?
I am rooted, does that matter?

Thanks
Ken

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have seen the AVG app for android on appbrain a lot lately.
I remember reading a while ago that we really didn't need a antivirus program for the android phones.
Has that changed?
Should I now install AVG from the market?
I am rooted, does that matter?

Thanks
Ken
As of now i would say no , but as android becomes more and more popular, and the chances that we will need one in the future is rising.

Reactions: Hitch_Itch

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Any anti-virus on Android is pointless and redundant. It'll just take up system resources and bog you down. Now of course, if you're in the habit of downloading random stuff from sketchy websites, it might not be a a bad thing to have.. But just for apps and the like, there's no need..

Reactions: Hitch_Itch

sivartk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Technically if you watch what you download/install, watch where you surf and don't open strange email attachments, no OS "needs" an anti-virus program.

Most viruses are of the Windows variety, so you could get a virus and not get infected, but, for example, it was in an email, you could pass it on to an unprotected Windows machine without knowing and a friend could open it and get infected.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
As of now i would say no , but as android becomes more and more popular, and the chances that we will need one in the future is rising.
^ This. Not necessary now but there's no telling in the future.

Technically if you watch what you download/install, watch where you surf and don't open strange email attachments, no OS "needs" an anti-virus program.
Not entirely true. There are other vectors. An OS completely cut off from the rest of the world (including removable drives, USB, BT, etc) probably wouldn't need antivirus but that's irrelevant for most people.

Last edited: