I've been a long time user of Handcent, but the last update places an ad at the top of your text list as if it's a new text. I held off updating because I think that's just underhanded, but now it won't even open. I checked the Play store reviews, and looks like it's happening to others too even on the current version. I try to open it and it crashes back to the home screen.

So I decided to look into other options. I just tried Textra, but kinda bleh on the customization. So what are some other texting options that allow a fair bit of customization similar to Handcent, AND doesn't use heads up notifications (looks like that can't be turned off with Textra). Keeping notifications to the notification bar where they belong is one of the bigger concerns because I've quickly learned it'll get in the way with the heads up notifications.
    04-25-2015 06:06 PM
    For what it's worth, it turned out to be the Android System Webview app (a Google system app) that updated, causing Handcent and many other apps to act up. Uninstalled the ASW updates and things are working right again, so back to using Handcent.
    04-27-2015 09:04 PM