Dealing with unsolicited, anonymous sms

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm very particular about giving my mobile number out to people and companies in order to protect my privacy. I don't have much trust for companies even if they have a strict 'privacy policy' and say they would never share my personal data with other companies.

Things have been fine up to now. I only get calls and texts from people I know and have shared my number with but recently, I have been getting an anonymous sms every now and then. It seems to be coming from a health club/gym company based in London which is over 130 miles away from where I live. As it's anonymous, I'm unable to block it which is a shame. It does have an option to stop the texts by replying 'STOP' to 88882 which I'm reluctant to do.

It also has a number to call to make an appointment. As much as I'd like to ring them and tell them to fwck off and to leave me alone, it would mean I would need to confirm my number which would basically give them carte blanche to pass my number on to other companies.

I'm gonna call my service provider later to see if they can do anything but in the mean time, can I do anything?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are those messages anonymous in that they don't even have a callback or textback number? If there's a number, you should be able to block it, either using a phone setting or by contacting the carrier. I agree, don't text STOP to that number--you'll probably get an avalanche of junk afterwards.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
There's no originating number and there's no option to block the messages as there is on messages which are sent from numbers which are displayed.

Screenshot_2015-04-30-12-50-23.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-30-12-50-41.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Contact the carrier then.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci