Current Market Tablets in 2 Years?

nombaer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on purchasing a tablet, but will only be able to use it for 3 months, and then unable to again until 2013 April.

I reside in South Korea, and will be entering our armed forces for a lovely mandatory 2 years of service in April 2011 (will get out in April 2013).

I know it sounds silly, and that I should just wait it out until I'm out of the service and purchase it then... but I -really really- want a tablet! My whole family switched over to the Galaxy S, and well.. I feel dauntingly outdated with my old 08' touch phone.

If I bought a currently market available Galaxy Tab or perhaps iPad, will it have any use 2 years from now? Or will it just be an expensive purchase for 3 months of joy?

PS- We are not allowed to bring external electronics in with us (cellphones or what not), but I will be getting leave of absences every 3-4 months or so.

PSS- Reason I'm looking at iPad or GTab is because with their two year contract it's relatively cheap. In addition, while I'm in the forces I can put it on hold for $3/month.

PSSS- I think I'm just acting on pure whim too. New tablets are coming out in a few months, but I want some loving time with my Android before I have to go :(

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
We're not psychic but 2 year old tech is likely to be outdated. You'll probably just want a newer pad at that point if you're currently itching for a tab that badly. Consider what you said in your own post:
I feel dauntingly outdated with my old 08' touch phone.

I wouldn't in your position but you need to make the call.

Reactions: nombaer

nombaer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
After some thought, changed my mind. Will be getting the LG Optimus 2X.

As much as I want a tablet, I think I can benefit a lot more from a new smartphone (and can actually get much more use out of it!).

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I would do more research. You might not get to take electronics to basic training, but afterward, you guys can not have electronics when you are off duty? I find that hard to swallow. If you are not on duty are you not free to entertain yourselves as you see fit?

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
As you said above, and Takeshi highlighted, might just be wise to save your money! That phone will be great tech now, but in a year from now it'll be outdated and in two years it'll be ancient.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm bummed about this new upgrade policy from Verizon because of this. I kind of want a new phone every year, with all the cool stuff that comes out. Hopefully my Droid X stays relevant for another whole year and a half. It's kicking and screaming now, but man... that honeycomb looks realllll serious. If android starts updating phones left and right, I'ma want something new..

nombaer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I would do more research. You might not get to take electronics to basic training, but afterward, you guys can not have electronics when you are off duty? I find that hard to swallow. If you are not on duty are you not free to entertain yourselves as you see fit?

Apart from commissioned officers, we are not allowed to carry personal electronics. After basic training and some months (we get our first leave after 100 days of service), I'll be able to take back [note: sneak back] my phone into my post, but will not be able to use it.

It's approx. two years of isolated hell in which we all pray a war with North Korea breaks out after I'm gone.

Seems like waiting out until after my service seems the most cost beneficial. Who knows, I might be hanging out with an Optimus 4X running with some insanely large amount of RAM. (Oh and Android 5.0?)

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Smartphone you can hold onto sounds like a better choice than a tablet you won't see for two years. Good luck and stay safe!!

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd wait, as you seem to be leaning towards.

Good luck in your service! For what it is worth, the US Army was really good experience for me when I did it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke