What phone to buy? (MetroPCS)

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I am on MetroPCS with a non-smartphone (Kyocera Presto). As MetroPCS is moving to the T-Mobile network, we're being forced to upgrade. I could go with a clamshell phone (my default preference) but, as i was planning on getting an Android device (not necessarily a phone) in the near future, i have started to learn Java to develop for the Android, and some apps out there seems really useful, i figure i should likely just get a smart phone (and not a tablet).

MetroPCS currently has 13 smartphones. Prices are $19, $29, $49, $99, $479, and $649. Trade-in value for my phone is $29. So, the $19 and $29 phones would just cost tax. When i asked a sibling and a couple friends, they said to just get the Samsung S5. The S5 ($479) can be gotten used on ebay for a little over $200 (so it seems) so even if i did decide to go with it, i could get it on ebay and _also_ get a "free" phone from MetroPCS. That phone could be used to get used to the Android (taking time before purchasing the more expensive phone), or just to have another toy.

I went to a MetroPCS store to try the phones. Most of them hold well in my hand, but typing on the keyboard was nigh impossible. Even turned on the side so the keyboard gets wider, i was plagued with typos. Nonetheless, the wider keyboard was better, making me think taller phones are better (for this.)

Which phone would you suggest i go with (now/later)?

--
Update, here's a list of MetroPCS phones:
NamePriceMemoryMem SlotCPU4GCheapest Plan
Alcatel one touch Evolve 2$191.5321.3 DualN/A$25
Alcatel one touch Fierce 2$292321.2 Quad4G$30
Kyocera Hydro LIFE$295321.2 Quad4G$30
LG Leon$201?32?1.2 QuadLTE$40
LG Optimus L70$291.3321.2 Dual4G$30
LG Optimus L70 - White$291.3321.2 Dual4G$30
LG Optimus F6$491.2321.2 DualLTE$40
LG Optimus F60$593.92321.2 QuadLTE$40
Samsung Galaxy Light$295641.4 QuadLTE$40
Samsung Galaxy Avant$9910641.2 QuadLTE$40
Samsung Galaxy S 5$479101282.5 QuadLTE$40
Samsung Galaxy S 6$64932N/A2.1 & 1.5 QuadLTE$40
ZTE Max$9911321.2 QuadLTE$40

Update, updated chart for 4G as opposed to LTE, and added Cheapest Plan. Non data phones can get the $25 plan, 4G must get at least the $30 plan, and LTE phones must get at least the $40 plan.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am on MetroPCS with a non-smartphone (Kyocera Presto). As MetroPCS is moving to the T-Mobile network, we're being forced to upgrade. I could go with a clamshell phone (my default preference) but, as i was planning on getting an Android device (not necessarily a phone) in the near future, i have started to learn Java to develop for the Android, and some apps out there seems really useful, i figure i should likely just get a smart phone (and not a tablet).

MetroPCS currently has 13 smartphones. Prices are $19, $29, $49, $99, $479, and $649. Trade-in value for my phone is $29. So, the $19 and $29 phones would just cost tax. When i asked a sibling and a couple friends, they said to just get the Samsung S5. The S5 ($479) can be gotten used on ebay for a little over $200 (so it seems) so even if i did decide to go with it, i could get it on ebay and _also_ get a "free" phone from MetroPCS. That phone could be used to get used to the Android (taking time before purchasing the more expensive phone), or just to have another toy.

I went to a MetroPCS store to try the phones. Most of them hold well in my hand, but typing on the keyboard was nigh impossible. Even turned on the side so the keyboard gets wider, i was plagued with typos. Nonetheless, the wider keyboard was better, making me think taller phones are better (for this.)

Which phone would you suggest i go with (now/later)?

Moto E (2nd Gen.) if you're on a budget -

Moto E (2nd Gen.) - Motorola

Nexus 6 if you're not -

https://www.google.com/nexus/6/

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Can you still not download anything for free on metro?
Also be wary of lg phones that only have 4 gigabytes, you will use that up in no time at all.

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Which includes all those phones, except the last one, it says 4/8 gigs internal. In the long run, you will be disappointed if you get one of those lg's

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Good point.

I added memory to the list from MetroPCS's website. The Leon is not offered yet and has no details. So, i googled for that one.

Do i really need internal if i can add external?

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Good point.

I added memory to the list from MetroPCS's website. The Leon is not offered yet and has no details. So, i googled for that one.

Do i really need internal if i can add external?
Yes, if you want to be able to download even a few apps. I promise you, my wife had one with the 4 gig , it was no time at all, it would say memory was to full to even store a picture. Not one thing would help it, move pictures to sd card, delete apps, i mean nothing. I felt so sorry for her, buying that phone and not even being able to download even a few apps. Now she has the Galaxy s3 n i have a note3.

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes, if you want to be able to download even a few apps. I promise you, my wife had one with the 4 gig , it was no time at all, it would say memory was to full to even store a picture. Not one thing would help it, move pictures to sd card, delete apps, i mean nothing. I felt so sorry for her, buying that phone and not even being able to download even a few apps. Now she has the Galaxy s3 n i have a note3.

I am trying to apply what you said. I really have very little experience with these things. Based on that and the list above, the Samsung Avant and S 5 & 6 would be recommended, as they have 10 gig (o 32 for the S 6.) While i could get the Avant for cheaper with the 29 trade in, the S 5 & 6 would be cheaper on ebay, giving me a free phone from MetroPCS right now.

The Galaxy Light has 5 gig, which is not much more than the 4 gig you suggest might be too little, but it's also expandable and free ($5? taxes). Would you suggest getting the Light for now, and going for the S 5 on ebay later, or just getting the Avant for $70 and leaving it at that?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to apply what you said. I really have very little experience with these things. Based on that and the list above, the Samsung Avant and S 5 & 6 would be recommended, as they have 10 gig (o 32 for the S 6.) While i could get the Avant for cheaper with the 29 trade in, the S 5 & 6 would be cheaper on ebay, giving me a free phone from MetroPCS right now.

The Galaxy Light has 5 gig, which is not much more than the 4 gig you suggest might be too little, but it's also expandable and free ($5? taxes). Would you suggest getting the Light for now, and going for the S 5 on ebay later, or just getting the Avant for $70 and leaving it at that?

don't be penny wise and pound foolish. you get what you pay for and cheaper phones have slow processors and low system memory which result in a lot of pain when everything in daily operation moves at a slow crawl - including simply making a phone call. if i had to choose from your list i would get the S5 or S6 but my advice is get an unlocked carrier-agnostic Moto E or Nexus 6 and BYOD over to your carrier of choice. this way you have the choice and freedom to roll with the punches and change carriers as needed. future-proof your purchase. don't go cheap on the phone - you will only regret it when it moves like molasses and just opening a contact to make a simple phone call is slow as molasses. not worth it. you will be wasting money not saving money. once you get a smartphone you will love it and won't want to go back to a flip phone. so don't go cheap and waste your money on garbage that you'll regret. a cheap smartphone is very painful when it moves slow like molasses even for simple tasks. i've seen it.

good luck.

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmm.. the avant has 16 gig plus sd card. The s 5 is clearly the better phone. Ask the what phones you can bring byop plan. Mixed reviews on the avant, mostly bad.

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Gekko, assuming i follow your advice and indeed get a better phone, i still get a free phone from the list (that cost $29 or less) as a toy, if nothing else. What phone would you suggest?

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Wayne, i was thinking about byop. Regardless, i still get a discount on the phones listed above, and as i have not been using a smart phone, it might acquaint me with the points you are making, which ought to help me make a more intelligent choice when next looking for a phone (which could be just a month or two later, for example.)

I feel like i'm harping on the free phone option too much. But the way i see it (currently) that's my best option to become familiar with what i actually want. If you feel otherwise, please say so a little more directly. :)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Gekko, assuming i follow your advice and indeed get a better phone, i still get a free phone from the list (that cost $29 or less) as a toy, if nothing else. What phone would you suggest?

that's like asking me which turd to choose. go with the one with the highest specs i guess.

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Ask the what phones you can bring byop plan.

A little googling did the trick. If the phone supports the network, you just need to buy a SIM card. Checking which phones work is easy: metropcs. com / offers / bring-your-own-phone.html

(Sorry, can't post links yet. I hope the spaces aren't too much trouble.)

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, i went to the store and got a Galaxy Light. I plan to buy a used S5 soon. I'm guessing ebay is the best place to look?

Anyway, updated the table up top to denote 4G vs LTE and the cheapest plan Metro PCS will allow you to get because of the data feature, which i found out after going to the store and being "forced" to get the $40 plan. Now, i'm planning on switching to a cheaper t-mobile plan before the next payment.

chacham2

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I doubt i will use it long enough to find out. Unless i can get the unlock code for it, i'll be borrowing a friend's t-mobile phone within a few days and going onto his plan, rendering the Galaxy Light to nothing more than a fun toy (and wifi phone?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair