Alcatel One Touch Idol X keeps vibrating, won't turn on. What should I do?

A

AC Question

Alcatel One Touch Idol X keeps vibrating, won't turn on

So my son got an Alcatel One Touch Idol X last month (I know it's a two years old phone but he's also just 13) and this morning, it started vibrating on its own and won't stop. Screen is off and won't turn on either, When it's plugged, the 'charging' LED (white LED) does turn on.

I looked on the web and couldn't find a way to reboot the phone (like on BB10, holding both volume rockers for 15 seconds will reboot the phone), only how to do a hard reset (power and volume up), It doesn't work. Can't remove the battery either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, our only recourse is to let it drain and hope when recharged, it will be ok.

OS is Kitkat 4.4.2 and the only thing that happened maybe an hour before was the installation of "Popup Notifier Free" and the removal of "Echo Lockscreen".

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Alcatel One Touch Idol X keeps vibrating, won't turn on

Something happened before that - the phone got wet. It could have gotten wet before he got it (if he got it used) - moisture, like condensation from bring a cold phone into a warm house, can take a few months to damage the phone. Or he could have gotten it wet, tried drying it off and hoped you wouldn't notice.

Draining the battery is a BAD idea for any lithium battery - it shouldn't be drained lower than 40%. For phones with non-removable batteries, holding the power button down for about 10 seconds (it varies by phone, but never more than 30 seconds) simulates pulling the battery out and replacing it.

But if the problem is due to moisture, there's nothing that can be done by now. See Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!

sylvaing

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The phone was bought new a month ago. I don't think it ever got wet and it didn't get cold enough here in the last month for the phone to build condensation inside. I removed the back cover to look for the 'white/red dot' to confirm that the phone never/did get wet but I can't find one on that phone.

I did try holding the power button down to no avail, The battery is connected from under the circuit board and I can't access the connector to disconnect the battery. I can't find a way to turn it off. I have no choice but to let the battery drain unfortunately.

sylvaing

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Earlier tonight, the battery drained (stopped vibrating). I've plugged it and let it recharge for over an hour, then I turned it on. Lo and behold, it turned on and it's working fine.

I wonder if it's the popup notifier that he installed less than an hour earlier (coincidence?). If it is, I'm not very impressed by Android's stability, especially since YOU CAN'T FORCE A REBOOT SOME DEVICES!

He uninstalled the app to be safe, either that was the case or if not, it was hopefully a fluke and won't happen again.

annielaurin

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site

Something happened before that - the phone got wet. It could have gotten wet before he got it (if he got it used) - moisture, like condensation from bring a cold phone into a warm house, can take a few months to damage the phone. Or he could have gotten it wet, tried drying it off and hoped you wouldn't notice.

Draining the battery is a BAD idea for any lithium battery - it shouldn't be drained lower than 40%. For phones with non-removable batteries, holding the power button down for about 10 seconds (it varies by phone, but never more than 30 seconds) simulates pulling the battery out and replacing it.

But if the problem is due to moisture, there's nothing that can be done by now. See Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!

My phone does the exact same thing :( After reading your post, I'm afraid it could be condensation because I went outside during winter time with my phone :( I really didn't think I could do that :( By any chance, is there any way to get the pictures and videos on my phone or is it completely damaged ? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn