Why do apps need access to my photos, files, contacts, etc.?

A

AC Question

why do apps need access to my photos, files, contacts, etc.

I want to download the Craftsy App. Why does it need access to my photos and files?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: why do apps need access to my photos, files, contacts, etc.

Looking at the description, it might need to access your camera for some of its functions. App permissions often lack context... they don't explain why they call for a certain permission... and sometimes it isn't all that obvious why a certain permission is used when in fact it is required for a critical function.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It also may need access to a part of a file that would appear to someone who didn't write the app to have nothing to do with it. (For instance - and I have no idea how close to reality this is - I might be able to turn the GPS on easier by calling a function in Maps than by calling an Android API, so I'd need access to Maps, even though my app doesn't display any maps.)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Are you talking about the Crafty Classes app? Read the description of the permission, not just the header... It needs access to your SD card ( which in Android terms includes built in internal storage). If you're downloading and caching videos, you need somewhere to save them right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC