How to tell if bootloader is unlocked, and how to load CWM?

A

AC Question

How to tell if bootloader is unlocked, and how to load CWM

Bought a used, "liberated" (LONG since off-contract) T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999) that had been SIM-unlocked. Previous owner was using an AT&T SIM; and, I'm using a Straight Talk-provided AT&T SIM with NO problems. To my delight, I discovered that it had also been rooted, as confirmed by Root Checker, and running Terminal Emulator. Also, a SuperUser (SuperSU) app was installed, and worked. However, neither of the major recovery programs (CWM or TWRP) were installed, confirmed by checking with Xplore, and booting into Recovery mode.

Now, my question(s) is/are: how can I tell if it is bootloader unlocked such that I can flash a custom ROM? Next, what must I do to install/flash CWM to it? I have read the thread in this forum on how to root my phone, but that includes BOTH rooting AND CWM install steps. I'm rooted, so I THINK I really only need to get CWM installed.

One last point: the phone has stock T-Mobile Android 4.3, the "*MJC" software, as well as all the T-Mobile "crapware". I have read a number of cautions concerning the MJC software, and that one might not be able to flash CWM or custom ROM's to it.

I'm sorry if this duplicates anyone else's posting, but I have these forums and a bunch of others until I'm bleary eyed, and I can't find a straight-forward answer to the first question. So, I'm reluctant to even consider the next step.

I would be VERY grateful for any answers/suggestions you all have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon