I recently changed all of my email accounts to IMAP as the ability to view my accounts from work,home and anywhere with wifi and my laptop really comes in handy. I then found when I set up my accounts in the BB Storm, it only shows the main inbox folder without the subfolders. Now looking deeper into I find it isn't possible with BB. Now that I am getting ready to upgrade I am looking around for something that will have this ability. I have to say I am kind of confused. Many folks say that BB has by far the best abilities when it comes to email but it cant simply sync up my full accounts? Does the Android OS have this ability or am I out of luck? It seems this would be a fairly simple thing to pull off but maybe I am wrong. TIA
    01-11-2011 12:50 AM
    Many folks say that BB has by far the best abilities when it comes to email but it cant simply sync up my full accounts?
    That statement doesn't really mean anything. Best is always highly subjective for one thing. People always seem to parrot that statement without thinking about the details. I guess it's a generalization to simplify decision making without actually delving into the details. BB's have never properly/fully supported IMAP. It's not an issue with Android.

IMO the main email benefit with a BB is that BIS is designed to adjust polling intervals based on email activity if you're using older accounts that require polling. If you're not using a email account that requires polling then there's not much benefit as far as email is concerned.

In my case, I was a BES user and even so I prefer Android with ActiveSync as even BES never offered sync. Like all other BB email, it was push-and-reconcile.

It seems this would be a fairly simple thing to pull off but maybe I am wrong.
    Pretty much anything seems simple when you're not aware of the details.
    01-11-2011 08:53 AM
    There are several options when it comes to email apps on Android. Several of them have the ability to work with IMAPI folders, which might be a better experience than you are receiving with BB.
    01-11-2011 10:48 AM
    I came from BB also. Email was one of my main concerns before switching. When I found an app called K9mail is when I decided to make the switch. It handles IMAP, POP3 and Exchange accounts. It pushes just as fast as BB if not faster and syncs in my opinion better then BB.

Look it up and read the reviews. It's what a lot of ex BB users use. K9 Mail....another would be an app called Touchdown but I prefer K9 better.

Edit: K9mail as well as Androids Gmail both have all subfolders.
    01-11-2011 10:53 AM
    I appreciate all of the thoughtful answers and am glad to hear that android ought to fit my needs. Now to figure out which one
    01-11-2011 05:41 PM
    (Also a previous BB user)

Frankly, I find K9Mail to be much better than the BIS integration you'd typically use on a BB (there are other options).

ActiveSync (Exchange Server) to Touchdown is getting close to the stability of a BB BES setup, but not there yet. It is probably "as fast" and when it's running, it's highly accurate, but there are some minor stability issues that the dev's are working on. Nothing to turn me back to BB...no way.

AJ
    01-12-2011 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD