Why am I unable to open Facebook/Instagram with data?

A

AC Question

unable to open facebook/instagram with data

Bear with me I am not computer savvy. Whenever I am away from home, at a store or restaurant, I cannot connect to Facebook, instagram, Pinterest and a few other apps. It comes up, but spins and never updates I can never post anything. It works fine at home with Wi-Fi. What am I doing wrong?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: unable to open facebook/instagram with data

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Which carrier are you on? Is the phone on 3G or 4G while on mobile data? Are you able to access anything else on the web while connected to mobile data (like using the browser)?

If this is happening while you're in a store or restaurant, are you using that place's wi-fi? If so, you have to make sure you've logged into their network. If it's an open network, you still may have to go to a welcome page using the browser and accept the terms and conditions.

hmbrzy53

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I didn't explain this better. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T as my carrier. I have tried to connect to the store or restaurant's Wi-Fi but I still can't connect. But isn't that what the data I have is for? If I am unable to use Wi-Fi then the data would help me connect? I have updated Facebook and Pinterest and still am unable to connect. This started after the recent android update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With some public wi-fi, you might actually be connected to their network, but unable to access anything until you login on their welcome page. In those situations, the phone might not use your mobile data, because it thinks it's connected to the web via that wi-fi network. But the problem is that you can't access anything until you login on the welcome page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech