What is the best non Samsung Android phone on the market today?

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
changing platforns

A die hard blackberry lover, i have always been kind of interested in android but wary of leaving the familiar. But since BB is on the mend and I'd no longer feel like a rat abandoning ship I thought I might try something new. I will never have an iphone and really don't like Samsung (wife had one) so i am wondering, what would be the best non Samsung android phone in the market today. Co-workers have HTC and Sony models, but there are so many to pick from. Suggestions??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: changing platforns

Hey, welcome back! It really depends on what is most important to you in a phone. Right now, the LG G4 is probably highest on many reviewers' lists. It sounds like the best overall combination of performance, screen quality, battery life, and camera.

If media consumption is important, then consider the HTC One M8 or M9, since it's known for its great stereo front-facing Boomsound speakers, as well as a high quality screen. If you prefer a relatively light user interface, then consider the Moto X. If prompt updates and the ability to root and modify the phone is important, then go for a Nexus 6 (or even Nexus 5).

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! i'm on telus in canada so unfortunatly outside of Samsung my options are limited. I liked the moto x,but telus only offers a 16 g phone, and with no expandable memory that just won't do. The nexus 6 is appealing but too pricey for me at almost $300 down on 2 year contract. Looks like my best bet would be the htc one m9. Tho some reviews I've read say the battery life is not so good. Decisions decisions!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're willing to spend more money upfront and get an unlocked phone, you might be able to find a good deal online and then bring the phone to Telus (if the phone is compatible with the Telus network, and if it's easy to bring your own phone there). With the new crop of 2015 phones out now, you can find some decent deals on flagship phones from 2014 (and some from 2013 are still good today).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I have the HTC M8 and it's still a great performer today. I haven't looked into the M9 because I have no desire to upgrade, but I think I've heard some reports that the M9 isn't much of an upgrade over the M8. So it may be useful to consider that one too. So what if it's a generation older if it suits your needs. Mine still has next to no lag, and battery life is pretty good.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Which phone is best depends on what your requirements are. To of my deal breakers are a non-removable battery and no external SD card, so the only non-Samsung phone I'd buy now would be an LG G3 or G4, as far as I know. You may not care about either. so your range of choices would be larger.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Which phone is best depends on what your requirements are. To of my deal breakers are a non-removable battery and no external SD card, so the only non-Samsung phone I'd buy now would be an LG G3 or G4, as far as I know. You may not care about either. so your range of choices would be larger.

I used to have those same requirements, only now it's an external sd card (which the M8 does have). Now that I understand lithium batteries better, I'm not completely opposed to non-removable batteries. As long as you cycle them properly, they last a long long time. Many people abuse them unknowingly, then complain about premature failure. There is still the downside if you have to do warranty roulette, where that certified used phone they replace your defective one with could have an abused battery in it.