What computer for programming?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I am going to start on developing on Android. I want to make REALLY good games but before I do I need a really good computer to develop on. So should I get a Mac Book pro or a windows 7? I was already told not to get a Macbook pro so that may be out of the question. What do you recommend. Thanks!

Last edited:

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with a mac, they are very nice computers. They are just expensive. If you want a nice windows machine, I can recommend Asus, Sony and Dell. The HP envy is also a good computer, for HP anyway. What other requirements do you have?

Reactions: Baconator

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
None. I have an iMac and a Dell with Vista but I want a new computer that I can use for nothing but developing. I might get a macbook pro but I will wait because I hear there are new ones supposed to come out sometime the beginning of this year. A windows would be good also. I have no requirements except it has to be able to let me develop Android apps on it.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Android SDK is multi-platform, so whatev. If you are going to develop, I would recommend a faster processor. It's always good to have one, so an i7 would be good. I would wait until Sandy Bridges becomes more prevalent in computers. It's a nice performance boost.

I have a Sony Vaio Y. Very nice laptop, with a decent enough battery life. You can get it with an i5, and dedicated graphics. The keyboard is a chicket/island and the trackpad is non-textured. IT DOES NOT HAVE A DISK DRIVE. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

Fair enough on the HP, they burned a lot of people. They are improving though. Dell's business line is also pretty good.

Last edited:

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I might just get MacBook pro. I will wait for the new ones. I like them because they last forever. Not literally but they don't break down as much as the Windows computers. I had a desktop and it was always getting fixed. The iMac has never messed up. I will wait for the new Macbook Pros to come out. Or I might just get one now I don't think there will be that much of a difference. For now I will just study and practice on my Dell. Thanks!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Go for a Macbook. I say this because once you start developing apps for one platform, you will soon realize that creating apps for iPhone and Android will bring you more revenue. You can run Eclipse on a Mac or PC, and you can dual boot your Mac to Windows 7 (or Vista, XP, etc.) and Mac OS. You'll need a Mac for iPhone dev.

I wrote a handful of iPhone apps on a 13.3" Macbook, and it worked great. I hooked it up to an external keyboard and 23" display so it was just like a desktop. But the battery life on the thing was 6 hours.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
You can have Windows 7 on your Mac and the Mac OS on there. I have Ubuntu and Windows on my computer. You can only develop apps for the Iphone on Mac computers, so it's a win for you to have a Mac.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2