Why can't I open the files from the new micro sd card?

A

AC Question

why i cannot open the files from the new micro sd card?

I had a 8GB Kingston MSDcard (HC) and I bought a 32GB MSDcard (HC) to gain some space on my device because I have been having troubles updating apps due to insufficient space storage available.
I copied the files from my old SD to the laptop and transferred them from the laptop to the new SD.
when I turn on my phone I cannot open files like .pdf or music.

Some help please! ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why i cannot open the files from the new micro sd card?

Welcome to Android Central! Are the files still on the laptop? Can they open there?

When you copied the files from the laptop to the new SD card, was the card inserted into the computer's SD reader, or was it in the phone (and the phone was connected via USB)? In my experience, copying lots of files via USB seems to increase the risk for data errors. Try copying the files directly to the SD card while it's in the computer's SD reader.

Javi de Gabriel

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi B.Diddy! Thanks for your reply. I did copy the files with the SD card inserted into the SD computer's reader and not via USB. I cannot open neither the mp3 files nor the pdf files that has been copied to the new SD (32GB). I found that every time I tried to open the files in the SD from my laptop there's a message that says something about codec (I have no idea what I can do). What can I do? what am i doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'll have an answer to this, but we'll keep digging. Do the files open on the computer's hard drive?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens when you insert the old microSD card into your computer and try to open the original files--still the codec problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So something is happening when copying the files from the old SD to the laptop. Did you copy them directly, by inserting the SD into the laptop?

Javi de Gabriel

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes! and is there when there's the problem because some of the files seem to miss a codec (I have no clue what this means :/) to be able to play them from the SD 38GB.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the part that doesn't make sense. If they play fine from the original SD card, then the computer has the correct codecs installed. Codecs are algorithms that media players use to compress and decompress (hence "co dec") media files. I'm not sure what's happening when you copy the file from the original SD card to the computer, but whatever it is, it's preventing the original codec from decompressing the file. Do any of these files have DRM copy protection?