All internal and SD files disappeared all of sudden but storage space stays the same?

Lauron

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
My phone (Motorola G) was running out of internal space, so I decided to plug it up to my laptop and transfer and delete selected files for more space. When I was finished, I unplugged and got the remaining files I wanted. I decided to delete a few more files for extra space so I went back to my laptop and transferred and deleted more.

After transferring, I checked back to my albums on my phone and all albums I did not intend delete, disappeared. My SD files didn't show up on my phone or laptop either. They just showed empty
"Pictures" folders on my laptop! I rebooted my phone a couple of times and checked my storage bar on phone and laptop - they stayed the same - total space 5.52 GB 1.12 GB available.

Is this some kind of glitch on my phone, disallowing me to see the 'hidden' files in my storage? I do hope they come back at one point, man. Please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! These files were all on Internal Storage, right? Is your Moto G one that has a microSD card slot?

Any idea what files you were deleting? Have you tried using a file manager app on the phone to explore the photo directories and see if the files themselves are still there?

Lauron

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey. (Yes I have a microSd slot.) I was deleting the files on my storage that I already transfered to my laptop. But there was half of an album I didn't save and every single album and music was wiped out after I finished transferring the files I didn't want on my phone.

Same with my laptop and phone, the storage seems to have a lot in it but I cannot find those files. Strangely when I downloaded the file manger, I got into my folders and found my SD card and internal storage with the original files (except the entire screenshot album was empty, 500 photos disappeared)

The screenshot album could have been empty because I cluelessly screenshot something new prior to realising everything disappeared and it overwritten the old photos. Could that be the reason why?

Main issue here is, how can I view my SD/internal files again without file manager? Everything is there but it does not show up on my gallery nor does laptop. Should I buy a new SD card (this card doesn't let me delete or put files in anymore for unknown reason but has info)?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if the database created by the system's Media Scanner (which automatically scans all storage for media files like photos, music, and video) got erased somehow. I think it's supposed to rescan when you insert an SD card, but try forcing a rescan with Rescan Media.