Google Android has the slogan "Your Device, Your Way" This is not correct. The ability for Apps to switch off Data was removed in Android 5.* Supposedly as a security device. BUT what about those users who were using that feature as a security device.

My son blew through a $800 bill in 5 hours , I installed an app called MyDataManager which turned off his data when his limit was reached. Since then the app has saved me a lot of money as he frequently uses up all his data. Google has removed this SAFETY NET. You can postpone an update - BUT NOT REFUSE IT. Google has not advertised this feature.

If Google is serious about this being a SECURITY thing and not a MONEY MAKIN thing for the Telecommunication Companies then they should have added the following features to the Android Operating System -

1. The ability to set notifications when certain data limits have been reached.
    2. To forcibly turn off Data when the Data Limit is Reached.
    3. To allow the user to specify that Data should be turned OFF when WIFI is on YES A LOT of users prefer this.
    4. To allow users to only turn WIFI on when in the vicinity of saved networks.

THIS is My Phone My Way - And I would like an explanation why my financial security is apparently NOT an issue.
    06-12-2015 07:47 PM
    You also need the ability to add how much data has already been used that cycle.
    06-12-2015 08:06 PM
    Google Android has the slogan "Your Device, Your Way" This is not correct. The ability for Apps to switch off Data was removed in Android 5.* Supposedly as a security device. BUT what about those users who were using that feature as a security device.

My son blew through a $800 bill in 5 hours , I installed an app called MyDataManager which turned off his data when his limit was reached. Since then the app has saved me a lot of money as he frequently uses up all his data. Google has removed this SAFETY NET. You can postpone an update - BUT NOT REFUSE IT. Google has not advertised this feature.
    $800 in 5 hours? That's A LOT of data, what was he doing? I don't want to tell you how to handle this with your son but maybe a little education about the functions and features of the device and when to be conscious of what is being done to make sure data is conserved might be in order.

If Google is serious about this being a SECURITY thing and not a MONEY MAKIN thing for the Telecommunication Companies then they should have added the following features to the Android Operating System -

1. The ability to set notifications when certain data limits have been reached.
    2. To forcibly turn off Data when the Data Limit is Reached.
    3. To allow the user to specify that Data should be turned OFF when WIFI is on YES A LOT of users prefer this.
    4. To allow users to only turn WIFI on when in the vicinity of saved networks.

THIS is My Phone My Way - And I would like an explanation why my financial security is apparently NOT an issue.
    I don't see how data limits have ANYTHING to do with security. Also, Google makes ZERO money off your monthly cellular bill.

1 and 2. KitKat has this, did they remove it in Lollipop? Settings > Data Usage There is a checkbox to enable a mobile data limit and the ability to set a warning level and a level at which data is disabled. These limits are based on data used as calculated by the device.

I can't speak to 3 except to say that unless there's a bug mobile data should not be touched when on WiFi.

4. This requires that you leave GPS on all the time and have some kind of "geofence" in the WiFi settings to note when you're near a particular saved network. I just leave my WiFi on all the time and let it connect when in range of a saved network.

I said it before, it's not really my place to tell you how to treat your son, but being aware of the situation or providing a little education about the device and how the concept of mobile data works might have gone a long way toward preventing this. I don't see the fault lying with Google or your carrier here.
    06-12-2015 08:16 PM
    You also need the ability to add how much data has already been used that cycle.
    In KitKat, this is in Settings > Data Usage, did they move or remove it in Lollipop?
    06-12-2015 08:17 PM
    And does your son have a learning disability? By turning Off the ability of apps to control certain setting prevents concerned parents from effectively controlling their child's device. Not all children understand everything. As for the bill he tethered to his computer because the WIFI went down. - The data setting never turned off the Data.
    06-12-2015 08:30 PM