It's my understand that cell phones have an internal guard that only lets them draw the x numbers of amps they need to charge. That generally being 1-1.5 amps.

What I'd like to know, if anyone knows for SURE, what is the max that the LG L90 will draw to charge and where can I find such info in the future?

Thanx
    06-24-2015 04:22 PM
    You plug in a charger that can supply 5 or 10 Amps with a milliamp meter in series with it and measure it. (That's what the phone draws from the charger - what the battery draws from the phone varies through the charging cycle.)

At any rate, no properly designed phone will charge at more than 1C (IOW, a 2250mAh battery won't be charged at more than 2.25Amps - and that's Qualcom's Quich Charge 2). Most phones charge at 1/3C, so divide the battery capacity by 3, and you'll be close to the maximum the phone will draw. (I believe the L90 battery is 2450mAh, so it's probably set to charge at about 825mA max. Maybe even 1 Amp. 1.5 Amps would be pushing it a bit - it will shorten the life of the battery a bit. But most chargers available today - decent ones, not what you get from the dollar store - are rated at 2 Amps or more, so they'll provide enough current for the phone.)
    Laura Knotek and MichaelRS like this.
    06-24-2015 05:29 PM
    Yeah, im not looking to "rapid charge" my phone. And i guess you can't anyway with the internal governor they have on them. I just wanted to make sure that I was supplying it was a reasonable amount of power in my car charger so it could charge as normally fast as it does.

I currently have an emergency 1 amp charger I got from the 7-Eleven because mine broke. so while I'm looking for a new I wanted to make sure that I got one that was some quality and effective without overdoing it.This 7-121 charger gives me about 5 percent charge in half an hour. so it must be putting out about 250mA.

Soon I will be upgrading to a galaxy s5 so I'm looking to get a USB car charger that has split amperage. Maybe something like a 2 & 3 or 4, Do you have any suggestions As two brands. Preferably something that might be available on Amazon.
    Thanks
    06-24-2015 08:06 PM