New to Android (Galaxy), need help using it with Chevy MyLink

lottidah

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello. After a few years with Windows Phone (which I totally loved, btw), I have given up and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active (ATT). So far, I'm pretty happy with the change, but I'm struggling with using the phone in my car. I've searched this site for a tutorial on how to use Android with MyLink but didn't really find anything. If I've missed a thread on this, I apologize (but please share the link!).

I have a 2015 Chevy Equinox. My Windows Phone worked well with it. I would tap the phone button on my steering wheel and the car would say, "Please say a command." At that point, I would say "Voice" and it would connect to my phone where I could tell Cortana to text someone or call someone. When I received a text while in my car, Cortana would read it to me through the car and allow me to send a reply.

So far, it is very different with my Galaxy phone. Nothing happens when I say "Voice" now. If I say "Phone," the car will allow me to make a call using the phonebook. But there doesn't seem to be any way to initiate a text message.

My questions: How do I initiate a text message while paired with my car? Is there a special command I can use that will interact with my phone (for instance, it could activate S Voice) so that I can send texts that way?

Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you say OK Google? Try also opening your Google Settings app, then Search & Now>Voice, and turn on the Bluetooth Headset switch.

lottidah

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your response! Under Language and Input, I found the "Google Voice Typing" setting and see the Bluetooth Headset switch. It was off so I flipped it to on. I'll try the car again and see how it goes. Thanks again!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It just might not have direct integration. What happens if you press and hold the Phone button on the steering wheel?

lottidah

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Interesting idea! I gave it a try. I held down the Phone button and found: If the screen is on and unlocked, it will then launch into Google voice. I suspect there's another setting somewhere I need to toggle in order for it to work while the screen is off/locked.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, see what happens if you set OK Google detection to be on from any screen. Open the Google Settings app, go to Search & Now>Voice>Ok Google detection, and turn on From Any Screen. But this probably won't help if the phone is asleep.

lottidah

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah it's odd but seems that voice passthrough isn't enabled on this phone when it is asleep. My Windows Phone handled this really well. It also read my incoming text messages to me through Bluetooth and allowed me to respond. I'm surprised at the step back I've taken with the Galaxy S6 considering my Windows Phone was over two years old. I guess I'll adjust, but it's disappointing. :( Thanks for all of your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Having the phone always listening for Ok Google, even while the screen is off, can be a real battery drainer, but it is possible--try Open Mic+ for Google Now. Phones that were designed to listen while off, like the original Moto X, don't experience that kind of battery drain, because one of the CPU cores (a low power one) is dedicated to listening.

leumas80

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you get this figured out? If so what was your solution? I have the s7 edge and a 2014 silveradof and I'm having the same issue! I hit the the voice button and the car says.."phone initializing" and when I try to say phone call whoever it doesn't recognize I said anything. And I can only answer calls byou hitting answer....sound comes through my speakers though. I also can't get texts or tell my phone to play a song

Rosiepoo1971

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello. After a few years with Windows Phone (which I totally loved, btw), I have given up and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active (ATT). So far, I'm pretty happy with the change, but I'm struggling with using the phone in my car. I've searched this site for a tutorial on how to use Android with MyLink but didn't really find anything. If I've missed a thread on this, I apologize (but please share the link!).

I have a 2015 Chevy Equinox. My Windows Phone worked well with it. I would tap the phone button on my steering wheel and the car would say, "Please say a command." At that point, I would say "Voice" and it would connect to my phone where I could tell Cortana to text someone or call someone. When I received a text while in my car, Cortana would read it to me through the car and allow me to send a reply.

So far, it is very different with my Galaxy phone. Nothing happens when I say "Voice" now. If I say "Phone," the car will allow me to make a call using the phonebook. But there doesn't seem to be any way to initiate a text message.

My questions: How do I initiate a text message while paired with my car? Is there a special command I can use that will interact with my phone (for instance, it could activate S Voice) so that I can send texts that way?

Thanks for any help.

Rosiepoo1971

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Are you in Canada by chance? I'm having the exact same issue. I tried the command "compose sms" and I got a reply of something not connected. I checked my phone under the text to speech options and my language is set to English ( Canada) unsupported! I downloaded the English ( USA) language pack and switched to that and now under the text to speech setting, it says "supported". I haven't tested this yet but I will tomorrow and will report back!

rping54

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2014 Silverado and I had a Windows 10 Phone and switched for work to an Android LG V20 and cannot hear SMS or even see them in the MyLink Display. Did your solution work?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463