question about encryption as a way to protect data before getting rid of a phone:

what happens with files that are normally deleted *before* encryption? In other words, if I have a document, and I delete it by simply trashing it, then I go through the process of encryption and factory reset, is that document still sitting there, waiting to be discovered by typical recovery software?

and I guess a similar scenario would be, what if I reset the phone, "wiping" it clean, then decide to do an encryption pass? What happens with all the data that was on there before the reset? Is it included in the encryption?

many thx
    07-04-2015 01:04 AM
    In short, all data would be encrypted. What isn't erased as part of a reset would remain in encrypted form but the key to the encryption would be deleted and the data would effectively be a jumbled mess. As with any data stored on a device, there's always a chance of being read. If you encrypted the device and reset it, those chances are very very slim to almost non-existent and would need something like forensics level software to even try hacking it. So I wouldn't be concerned with it as long as you followed the encryption and reset practice.
    LMLML likes this.
    07-04-2015 07:01 PM
    question about encryption as a way to protect data before getting rid of a phone:

what happens with files that are normally deleted *before* encryption? In other words, if I have a document, and I delete it by simply trashing it, then I go through the process of encryption and factory reset, is that document still sitting there, waiting to be discovered by typical recovery software?

and I guess a similar scenario would be, what if I reset the phone, "wiping" it clean, then decide to do an encryption pass? What happens with all the data that was on there before the reset? Is it included in the encryption?

many thx
    Welcome to Android Central!

When you decide to encrypt it pretty much formats the entire storage for encryption and wipes out anything that was there.
    07-07-2015 09:30 AM
    thanks itguy!

so does it format all available storage? I know most phones these days have a separate 16 or 32 GB storage from the storage for the OS, correct?

is it taking care of all parts in one fell swoop?
    07-10-2015 02:58 PM
    I think it does. My phone has a separate option for formatting internal storage and the sd card separately. That's the only thing I'd check to make sure I got what I wanted from it.
    LMLML likes this.
    07-10-2015 04:42 PM