How can I get my message icon to show the amount of unread messages?

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Icon help please

First off, I'm a first time Android user so this may seem like a pretty stupid question, but please bear with me.

How do I get my mail and messaging icons to show the amount of unread messages I have? I get notifications with a banner and a tone of course but there is no number shown on the icon. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Lior Talmor

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Icon help please

You should be able to do it (as is with ios) with a launcher called Nova launcher and a plugin called TeslaUnread plugin , both available on the play store !!
Just download and install both and you're all set !!!
Also, you can configure the sort of notification you would like and "per app" activation :)

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

I downloaded Nova Prime and installed the TeslaUnread plugin. A couple of things:
- If I use the stock LG mail client and create two icons in nova - one for outlook and one for exchange work mail. Whenever one gets mail, the other reports the amount as well, even if the other account is empty. Kind of useless.

- So I moved one account to the Microsoft app and TeslaUnread but can't create the icon - it crashes the addon.

What's next?

Lior Talmor

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

I'd say use a third party app (such as boxer or another) but I'm guessing you,re looking for something a bit more sophisticated than that... ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

Finally the combination of Nova Prime and Missed It! did the trick - although performance is sketchy at times. TeslaUnread was garbage and crashed all the time when I tried to get the Outlook app to work with it. It's kind of ridiculous when two apps don't play well together and they're made by the same developer. :-$

The adventure never stops with this O/S.