Why is there a dramatic increase in battery consumption today?

RhinoCan

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had my HTC 320 phone for a week now and my battery consumption seems to have gone way up today. After using it intermittently all day yesterday, the power was still over 50% at bedtime. Today, using the phone somewhat less, it was down to 23% by early evening. Then I charged it fully and it was down to the 93% in about 5 minutes. What's going on and how do I stop this rapid draining of the battery?

I have a second question which may well be related. My phone is set to go dark after 2 minutes. After that, I seem to have to push the power button to get it to light up again, then push the unlock button and enter my PIN. Is the phone "off" when the screen goes black? To put it in Windows terms, does pressing the power button put the phone to "sleep", "hibernate" or is it the equivalent of doing a shutdown? What are the implications of shutting the phone down vs. just having it sleep? This is my first cell phone - I'm late joining the 21st century ;-) - so forgive the newbie question.

I'm wondering if I should be doing the phone equivalent of a "shutdown" rather than just "sleeping". The thing is that I think I'd rather sleep than shutdown. I suspect that if I do a full shutdown, the phone will not ring if someone calls and the calls will just go to voicemail and I won't know they even happened until I check my voicemail in the morning. My mother has some health problems so I'd rather NOT miss a call, even in the middle of the night.

Am I just going to have to get used to high battery consumption and a daily charge of the phone if I let it sleep rather than shutting it down?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my HTC 320 phone for a week now and my battery consumption seems to have gone way up today. After using it intermittently all day yesterday, the power was still over 50% at bedtime. Today, using the phone somewhat less, it was down to 23% by early evening. Then I charged it fully and it was down to the 93% in about 5 minutes. What's going on and how do I stop this rapid draining of the battery?

I have a second question which may well be related. My phone is set to go dark after 2 minutes. After that, I seem to have to push the power button to get it to light up again, then push the unlock button and enter my PIN. Is the phone "off" when the screen goes black? To put it in Windows terms, does pressing the power button put the phone to "sleep", "hibernate" or is it the equivalent of doing a shutdown? What are the implications of shutting the phone down vs. just having it sleep? This is my first cell phone - I'm late joining the 21st century ;-) - so forgive the newbie question.

I'm wondering if I should be doing the phone equivalent of a "shutdown" rather than just "sleeping". The thing is that I think I'd rather sleep than shutdown. I suspect that if I do a full shutdown, the phone will not ring if someone calls and the calls will just go to voicemail and I won't know they even happened until I check my voicemail in the morning. My mother has some health problems so I'd rather NOT miss a call, even in the middle of the night.

Am I just going to have to get used to high battery consumption and a daily charge of the phone if I let it sleep rather than shutting it down?

Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried changing your time out time to less than 2 minutes? Why do you have it set so high?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol