Can I use my normal cell phone number to make wifi calls?

A

AC Question

can i use my normal cell phone number to make wifi calls

Instead of having to buy a cell phone booster to get better service(verizon) in my home, i was wondering if it was possible to use the wifi signal instead? I need to be able to make and recieve calls to my regular cell number( work related)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: can i use my normal cell phone number to make wifi calls

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't have wi-fi calling yet (like T-Mobile has), which would allow you to make calls over wi-fi using the actual cell number. If you got a Google Voice number, you could make a wi-fi call using Hangouts Dialer--but it would be the Google Voice number, not the native cell number. If you have Comcast Voice at home, you can also use their Xfinity Connect app to make a wi-fi call based on the Comcast Voice phone number (but again, not the native cell number).

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: can i use my normal cell phone number to make wifi calls

I know only 2 ways to do it using your cell number:

1. For WiFi (VOIP) calling:
Install Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer.
Get a Google Voice number.
Port your cell number to Google Voice.
Use Hangouts for all calls, whether WiFi or not, since your cell number is now on Google Voice.
You can get data-only service from Verizon if you want because all calls can be made through Hangouts and Google Voice as VOIP calls.

2. Switch to T-Mobile for:
WiFi calling and...
A cell signal booster, if needed, free to use as long as you have T-Mobile service. Verizon charges $200. And...
Cheaper rates.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz