Texting issue with Froyo on Shift 4G

GoneTomorrow

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! First off, I'm glad to join this community, having "moved" from PreCentral after swapping my Pre for the Evo Shift 4G.

I'm having a texting issue that is precisely the same as described in these threads:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-captivate/40011-issue-phone-texting.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-moment/18827-texting-issue.html

Those threads were unresolved and concerned 2.1, so I'm starting a new thread since I'm running 2.2. The problem is this for those who tl;dr: When I first got my phone, I didn't have my contacts, so I manually entered a phone number to text without the area code. Well, Android informed me that I must use a 10-digit format. No biggie, I did just that, but now, whenever that same person texts me, and when I reply to that text, it won't send and I get the same number format error message.

The only way I can text him back is to manually enter the 10-digit number. His contact info has a full 10-digit number marked as mobile with no duplicate contacts. It only happens with that person's texts. Here's what I've tried to resolve this issue:

1. Deleted the contact and tried replying to texts, no joy.
2. Re-added the contact with a 10-digit number, no luck there either.
3. Unlinked contact's Facebook profile (the profile had his correct number).
4. Deleted all text threads with said person.

The problem still persists. The irony is that the person whose texts I'm having this problem with is a Sprint employee, and it has him just as puzzled.

So has there ever been a resolution to this? I really hope a hard reset isn't in order. TIA!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, GoneTomorrow.
Welcome on board.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your phone. It seem to me that you have done most of the troubleshooting to resolve this issue, yet the problem persists.

I don't know what else to add except to revert the phone back to its original state. There are lot of steps to save your contacts and apps... if that's what you're worried about.

GoneTomorrow

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi, GoneTomorrow.
Welcome on board.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your phone. It seem to me that you have done most of the troubleshooting to resolve this issue, yet the problem persists.

I don't know what else to add except to revert the phone back to its original state. There are lot of steps to save your contacts and apps... if that's what you're worried about.

Thanks, the issue seems to have been around for a while, but doesn't seem to be enough of a problem to issue an official fix. :( Oh well, might just have to do a hard reset I guess.