Hi everyone

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S5 mini from Giffgaff 10 months ago, it would occasionally freeze and I'd have to take the battery out then a month ago it stopped receiving data / network coverage and went to Samsung for repair. When I was filling in the forms I realised the electronic IMEI did not match the one on the device.

Samsung have refused to repair it because the details on the proof of purchase from Giffgaff do not match the information stored on the phone and also claim the IMEI label on the rear of the phone is not a genuine Samsung label.

Giffgaff have assured me it would have been a brand new (not refurbished) phone and have accused me of having a third party repair done hence the IMEIs not matching. I have never had the phone repaired. The IMEI on the proof of purchase from them does not match the IMEI either on the phone label or on my Google dashboard from the first time I registered the phone.

I'm getting nowhere trying to get this resolved but don't see why I should be stuck paying off this phone for the next 14 months when it's useless to me and I suspect some foul play. Can anyone suggest how this could have happened or what I can do next? I'm so annoyed!

Thank you!
    07-18-2015 10:21 AM
    How can it have happened? The phone could be "gray market", or a stolen phone with the internal IMEI changed to one that hasn't been reported stolen (check the one on the label at Swappa - ESN / IMEI / MEID Check (Free) to see if it's stolen).

As for resolving the issue, you're probably going to need an attorney.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2015 08:24 PM